Someone settle the motor mount debacle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shields

Reaction score
First Name
Dayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I know there is a difference between truck and car clamshell mounts. Trucks typically have longer mounts to lift the engine out of the cradle a little more than a set of car mounts do. I have been looking page over page to find a definitive answer but have not. What mounts can I use to sit a sbc 350 into my 86' c10 2wd? Is the cup that bolts to the engine universal and the frame pad/mount specific to year and model? My truck originally came with a V6 so it used two different mounts to hold the motor, and I believe the frame stands that holds the mount itself is also wrong for a V8 swap. Can anyone get a dimension between the ears and from the back to the center of the bolt hole for truck cups? Anything helps, getting a set of mounts is expensive and need to know. Thanks.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I know SBC truck motor mount towers are 3/4" taller than passenger cars.

Shields

Reaction score
First Name
Dayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I got tired of hassling with it and was too pricey, I ended up pulling a set of frame stands and clamshells/cups from a c10 at pick n pull. $30 for the mounts and $60 for a set of poly inserts. Not bad, thanks for chipping in.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Geez, and where is Kelowna??? $90 seems pretty damn steep to me. :shrug: There's help here sometimes dude. I've probably got 2 or 3 sets of what I think you're calling frame stands with the motor mounts for Small Block V8's still bolted to them that are in good shape. Wouldn't have been any help on the parts that bolt to the block though. You'd have had to come up with those. I'da been happy with a $20 donation and knowing they went to a good home and If it fits it ships, USPS Flat Rate would have them to you for about $14 or so in a Medium Flat Rate box via Priority mail anywhere in USA and it's territories.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I do want to start a thread with this info though. The different models with various engines, V6, I6, Small Block V8, Big Block V8 and Diesel, including the frame stand locations and the mounts as well as the Clamshells with pictures so for swaps like yours, a guy could see what bolt holes in the frame was used, what mounts were used etc.

Have you swapped your frame stands yet? It is possible for you to get pics with the V6 set up with the engine out of the way, and then pics of the clamshells on the V6 block?

Then when you get the frame stands for the Small Block V8 in place and the clamshells on the block, can you get pics before installing the engine?

Well kick that thread off with your pics and it'll end up being a STICKY thread.

Shields

Reaction score
First Name
Dayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

Shields

Reaction score
First Name
Dayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for getting back to me folks. Here are some pics to show the difference in v6 and v8 frame stands.

The V6 mounts
%5BURL=http://s292.photobucket.com/user/DaytonShields/media/IMG_1074_zpslt3m0si3.jpg.html]
You must be registered for see images attach
[/URL] %5BURL=http://s292.photobucket.com/user/DaytonShields/media/IMG_2035_zpskxhqq47b.jpg.html]
[/URL]

Then the V8 mounts

%5BURL=http://s292.photobucket.com/user/DaytonShields/media/IMG_2036_zpsjnayt722.jpg.html]
[/URL]

%5BURL=http://s292.photobucket.com/user/DaytonShields/media/IMG_2037_zps0vym7yig.jpg.html]
[/URL]

I am not sure why the pics aren't showing up, bummer

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Showing a Photobucket error. We really don't like Photofucket anyway. They have errors and leave dead images in our threads. So when someone finds a good thread for help a few months later, then the pics are gone and make the thread worthless.

GMSB has plenty of server space and the pic post limits are very high here if there is even a limit. So if you'd like to repost the same pics on the GMSB server so they stay here then just clip the Image icon above this box, or hit the red Upload a File button in the lower left of this box. :waytogo:

82flatdeck

Reaction score
First Name
rylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k3500
Engine Size
Geez, and where is Kelowna??? $90 seems pretty damn steep to me. :shrug:
Kelowna is in canada. Everything is a hell of a lot more expensive up here. And the taxes there are even worse than were i am.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I got a couple sets of the parts that bolt to the block. Oh wait I have the frame parts too on the K5 lol

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Here's what you want:

The motor mount to frame brackets are the first two P/Ns in Group 1: 6271362 (LH) and 6271362 (RH)

The clam shells are the first line in Group 10 (bracket, engine mount) #334601

http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=56374

Click on the page to the left to see a diagram.

Here is a pic of #334601.

You must be registered for see images

The K10 version is 11/16" shorter to make room for a transmission brace, at least that's the case for 1982 models.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Aww OK. The splains it.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Geez, and where is Kelowna??? $90 seems pretty damn steep to me. :shrug: There's help here sometimes dude. I've probably got 2 or 3 sets of what I think you're calling frame stands with the motor mounts for Small Block V8's still bolted to them that are in good shape. Wouldn't have been any help on the parts that bolt to the block though. You'd have had to come up with those. I'da been happy with a $20 donation and knowing they went to a good home and If it fits it ships, USPS Flat Rate would have them to you for about $14 or so in a Medium Flat Rate box via Priority mail anywhere in USA and it's territories.

Do you still have those parts? Are we talking about the butchered parts in the images I've attached?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size