SOB’s Trailer Thieves !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried to steal my trailer this morning. Drove right up in my driveway, hooked up and took off. Dumb ******** left the pin out of their hitch (why???) and the trailer jack hit the drive way pulling their hitch out of their receiver and the trailer went tongue first into a dirt bank across the road. Really lucky on my part, just got the trailer last fall and have only used it once. Thieves got me 2 years ago when they stole my old trailer but at least I wasn’t home then.

Have to thank a passerby who woke me up to tell me my trailer was in the middle of the road! All is well now except for having to buy a new jack that got bent beyond repair during the recovery operation.
You must be registered for see images attach
I don’t know if you can see it but in the first picture you can see the dumb asses hitch still attached to my coupler. In the second pic the tiny silver thing by the right rear fender is their hitch pin that would have cost me $1800.00 if they had not left it out.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^x2 or grab a pad lock and put it on the trailer hitch latch. I do this so people don't steal the trailer and my quad or bike that are on the trailer off the truck.

Glad you still have it tho, looks to be a very nice trailer.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I prefer to steal trailers that still have the machinery/toys loaded... oops I didn't say that!

Well you got an extra receiver hitch now as well as a second chance.
Thanks for sharing your near bummer and reminding us all at the same time.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer to steal trailers that still have the machinery/toys loaded... oops I didn't say that!

Well you got an extra receiver hitch now as well as a second chance.
Thanks for sharing your near bummer and reminding us all at the same time.

Your right though, I bought the trailer to haul a $10k zero turn mower, which was luckily in the garage.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I’m definitely adding some security measures, but I think your suggestion is only for keeping honest people honest. Those things would barely slow down the thieves around here. Sheriffs dept said that stealing trailers is a growth industry and almost a daily occurrence.

You must be registered for see images

with

or

last attempt thick chain and strong lock wrapped around axle and a strong tree, hopefully its strong enough to bring their vehicle to a quick stop and them through the windshield.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The tree thing is what I was thinking. Thieves can surpass anything, but deterrence is a big part of it. Glad you didn’t lose your trailer!

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Time for the twelve gauge!

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Any lock is just to keep an honest person honest. If someone really wants something bad enough they will find a way to get it. The hope is that a lock just might get them to pass because of the trouble.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as a heads up sort of thing. Some trailers are stolen quickly even with coupler locks. The thieves simply twist the safety chains until they can hook them in and be short enough to not allow the trailer jack to drag and off they go. It’s ugly but it gets them out of the immediate area until they can overcome the lock.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't like the padlock idea. In OK we're not required to register trailers and no license plates are required so thieving of trailers is a big problem. Heavy chain the axles with one of those round locks or fat padlock to a tree as well as a good tongue lock specific for your hitch type.

I know one guy that uses his maybe 3 times a years, he took the tires off and put wheel locks on the wheel studs with blue locktite so they can't put the tires back on.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Any lock is just to keep an honest person honest. If someone really wants something bad enough they will find a way to get it. The hope is that a lock just might get them to pass because of the trouble.
This is true, but a couple of tongue locks are pretty damn good. Here, even with a tongue lock, they'll chain it to a bumper get it where they want it and into a barn somewhere, then they have all the time in the world to get the lock cut off or torched off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knep115