So I got stuck and lost all power steering/brakes. Help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aric76

Reaction score
First Name
Aric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I bought the 1 ton truck from hell. The latest issue was when getting unstuck I lost all power steering fluid on the ground. Now steering and brakes are lost. So I'm guessing they both run off the steering pump? It was dark of course and I can't see much, but what is likely to have happened and will I need to bleed the brakes after I fix the problem?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Broke a hose, and it has Hyroboost which works off the PS so no fluid no brakes or steering..

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Broke a hose, and it has Hyroboost which works off the PS so no fluid no brakes or steering..

Yea with hydro when you break down, you're d o w n

I'd rebuild it to be safe

aric76

Reaction score
First Name
Aric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Thanks for the help. It appears to be one of the hoses going up to the brake booster. Also not sure if it's related, but the front brake fluid reservoir is empty. I'm hoping I can just fill the reservoir, and replace the hose so I can finally finish plowing. I've owned this thing for a month now and every time I take it out something new breaks. I'm a novice when it come to mechanical, but becoming skilled quickly. lol

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Thanks for the help. It appears to be one of the hoses going up to the brake booster. Also not sure if it's related, but the front brake fluid reservoir is empty. I'm hoping I can just fill the reservoir, and replace the hose so I can finally finish plowing. I've owned this thing for a month now and every time I take it out something new breaks. I'm a novice when it come to mechanical, but becoming skilled quickly. lol

The hydraulic systems for the actual brake circuits and the hydroboost assist are completely segregated. A leak - in either system - will not cause a loss of fluid in the other.

If you lost all the fluid in the front reservoir of the M/C, there is a leak in the plumbing for that brake circuit - and that should be located and repaired first. After the leak has been located and repaired, bleed the brakes - as you would with any standard braking system. Only when you can develop normal pedal pressure and brake function, is it time to move on to the hydroboost issue. You could temporarily drive the truck with the broken line in the hydroboost system. But be advised; in that condition you will have no power assist for the brakes - but maybe more important when plowing - you will also have no power steering.

After repairing the broken line in the hydroboost system, it will need to be bled. Procedure:

You must be registered for see images attach

The remote start switch isn't necessary, just disable the the ignition system and crank with the key as normal.

Also, note the step where it directs you to rotate the steering wheel from stop to stop (while stroking the brakes) - do this slowly and do it a lot of times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC