Snapped Axles and ujoints on front of my plow truck..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Like the title says, I heard a bunch of clicking, and clattering and banging, and lost my front wheel drive, so, I managed to get it out of where I was stuck in the snow, and got a look at the damage, and found both yokes on the axle where it goes through the steering knuckle are busted, I must've busted the Ujoints, then the yokes hung up on each other til they broke off..

So, I have an extra front axle off the '79. I can't see any differences between them, and I took a tape measure and both tubes measure the same to the differential. Before I take them all apart, is there any way from the outside to know for sure that the axle's will interchange? I will need to put new ujoints on the axles as well, hoping there aren't too many differences. Both are half ton, 6 lug.

Another question, What is the highes gear ratio I can get for a 3/4 axles? Or, would anyone be willing to trade me for my 4.10 ratio ones that have rear disc brake conversion? I'd like some 3.08, so something close to that. I'd need front and back. I don't know if 3/4 ton come in that high of gear ratio though.

I know you guys all say the rpm should be like 3500, or something crazy, but I like how my Suburban goes where it cruises along at 2100 rpm at 80mph.. The sm465 has granny low, so I should still be able to pull fine.

Planning on putting an LS, or Vortec in the truck.

Any ideas on getting high gear axles? Most people are trying to go the other direction, maybe someone wants to trade that doens't live on the other side of the planet from me?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You should have full floater in the rear. As far as OEM it's a big jump from 4.56, 4.10, 3.73 than up to 3.21 and you'd have to run 3.23 in the front axle since there is no 3.21 for D44/10bolt. If you had a Semi Float rear axle which you shouldn't for a 77, then you can have a 3.42 in an OEM.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I should have been more clear. ON the one I snapped the ujoints on, that is my plow truck that is in running order.

The question I had about the gear ratios is on a different truck, a 3/4 ton. Yes, that one is full floater, Dana60, I think in the rear, and 44 up front. 4.10 ration is in it now, and I need to put a motor in it. It has an SM465 tranny with it. I am trying to decide whether to try to find a NV4500 OD tranny, or get a different set of axles on it, becaus eI don't want to be getting like 6 mpg if I get it driving. Sounds like there arent many choices on the 3/4 ton axles for ger ratios. I thought I'd seen up to 3.08 for ratios, but that may be on the 1/2 tons. I am trying to decide how expensive and difficult it will be to modify the truck to run the NV4500, or to keep the SM465, and change out the axles for something tht will keep the RPM's down

The question I had on the busted front axle, is my 84 1/2 ton front axles interchangeable with the 79 1/2 ton front axle I have here, or is the splines going to be different on the shafts.

I am just going to swap the inner shafts.. I measured them from the knuckle to the diff on both axles, and they are the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK