Small Engine Collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This is the kind of thing that sux when you collect things over an 18 year period, then when it's time to move you have to downsize. I think Dave would get a hard-on if he seen all of the small engines I had. I scrapped a total of about 8, 2 were in weed eaters, 1 was a poulan chainsaw, a 5hp Briggs, a 5hp Tecumseh, Did sell one of the 5HP Briggs, and then 3 or 4 3hp Horizontal Briggs that were good for parts. I found room in my buddies shed for these ones that were either in good shape or a reason to keep them like having a PTO or the old 60's Briggs with the oil bath.

Now trying to part out or sell these things. Don't really need them other than to mount one on a McLane Edger frame, but then I think wtf do I need an edger for?

I just hate trashing **** that I know has value to someone. Many times I don't want ****, but I keep it just because I know eventually I know I'll hear of someone who would appreciate it and give it a good home. Like this 60's model 2hp Briggs. It would be a crime to scrap that thing. It's history !!! Who has an oil bath air cleaner Briggs engine? :shrug: Do I have a fuggin disorder or what?

One of these motors I kept out at the property before my dad built his house and we had electric out there. I kept it hidden in the woods. I had the engine rigged up with a volt meter and an alternator to charge our boat's troll motor batteries when we used them alot on 3 and 4 day weekends.

Attachments

• HorizBriggsNTecumseh 030b.jpg
    HorizBriggsNTecumseh 030b.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 135
  • HorizBriggsNTecumseh 015.jpg
    HorizBriggsNTecumseh 015.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 153

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I have a collection much like yours. Must be a half dozen various old Briggs and Techumseh engines up my shop attic. I even have some old lawn boy stuff from the 60's incuding a NOS bricktop lawnboy engine that has never been run.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have a collection much like yours. Must be a half dozen various old Briggs and Techumseh engines up my shop attic. I even have some old lawn boy stuff from the 60's incuding a NOS bricktop lawnboy engine that has never been run.

Yeah, I scrapped a LawnBoy engine as well as a Snapper Briggs Commercial engine with the cast iron sleeve. They were vertical engines and I just didn't think there'd be much interest in them. So I sold the tanks and scrapped the rest. Probably got more out of the tanks than I would have the complete engines, but that's just how you have to sell some things. Sometimes, the parts are worth more than the complete set up. I never understood that, but I've proven it 10x over.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Did you scrap the 5 hp BG with the pto in the bottom right of the pic? Been looking for one of them for years for a troybilt tiller.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Did you scrap the 5 hp BG with the pto in the bottom right of the pic? Been looking for one of them for years for a troybilt tiller.

I did scrap a 5hp with a PTO, it was in bad shape and seized with a bad starter cover. These pictured I saved. That one there is a 3hp, it too is seized but only due to a varmit packing mud in it so I'm sure I can free it up and it having a PTO was worthy of saving, even if I used the PTO and cover on one of the other good 3Hp engines.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I played around and cleaned up that little white vintage looking Briggs 2hp engine today. Got all the mud dauber dirt out of it, and it turns over just fine and still has oil in it. Cleaned the gunk out of the gas tank and the tank is not rusted or pitted at all like I expected it to be. Compression is a little weak but I feel if I change the oil, replace a couple carb gaskets and it'll run, then the rings will unstick and the compression come back up.

I was able to locate the model, type and serial #'s off the engine. It's a 6B-S engine and appears to be all original with all the original parts as in the carb, tank, flywheel, starter rope and oil bath air filter. Found out that the 6B-S Briggs engine was manufactured from 1955-1958. Isn't that some ****? I figured it was a mid to late 60's enigine. It's actually mid to late 50's and is probably 60 years old or a little more.

So who wants to pay me to much for this vintage antique B&S engine?!?!?! :shrug: C'mon, someone just has to have it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL