Sm465

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdub209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
alright guys here's my dilemma;

i have my 1985 Chevy k20, its got a 350sb in it that is mated to a sm465 followed by a np208. the transmission/clutch have been a pain in my ass since i did the motor swap in july. first the clutch wasn't engaging, then pulled trans/transfer case to find out throwout bearing wasn't sitting on the clutch fork correctly and the clutch fork wasn't on the little ball like it should've been so it was all messed up. now got the clutch figured out and it will engage so i can put it in gear and everything but still something isn't right.
if the truck is off and i put it in first gear/ low range/ or reverse and push the clutch pedal it'll start without taking off. then i can release the pedal and it'll move under it's own power. followed by pushing the pedal back in it'll stop again disengaging the clutch. BUT once i try to shift from first to second or out of a gear to another gear even starting the truck in neutral then trying to put it in gear it won't do it without grinding it's way into the gear. i've come to conclusion that something internally is wrong with the trans.maybe shift forks or solenoids?
trans has never poped out of a gear or grinded before the swap so this is all new. after the swap i put new fluid in the trans and transfer case of course and it seems like that was a curse. should've left the 30 year old fluid in there.
anybody have any idea or info on what could be wrong or heard of anything like this? at this point i want to put a new trans in it and call it a day. doesn't matter if its a auto or manual. anyone know if any transmissions would mate to the 350 and np208 without adapters and i could still use my same driveshafts?

Thanks for any input or help-- T.J

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
You still have clutch issues. It is not disengaging. What do
You have for a pilot bearing in the crank? How did you adjust the linkage?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Iirc, '85 should be a hydraulic clutch. Possibly need to bleed the air from the system? I agree this sounds like the clutch is not fully releasing from the pressure plate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84