Single speaker, center dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Not gonna go pull my dash right now. It's dark...and cold. I'll do what I can tho.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Did you start with a single dash speaker and go to that? What would i have to do to replace my single speaker with that? Im concerned as it says works with any aftermarket radio... mines stock and has only 1 speaker. Plus it says left and right wire separtely and i only have one. Lol call me dumb but....

Yes, I started out with the OEM speaker. I added this when I upgraded to a stereo radio. If you were to add this, if I were you, I'd run a pair of 18 AWG wires down to the floor and label them L and R. Then you wouldn't have to pull the dash pad if/when you go to a different radio.

I added this because I didn't want to be drilling holes or mounting speakers on the doors and otherwise carving up the interior. The '73 dash doesn't have the speaker availability on each side of the dash.

It's not going to take a ton of wattage but gets the job done.

Why would I call you a dumb but?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Yes, I started out with the OEM speaker. I added this when I upgraded to a stereo radio. If you were to add this, if I were you, I'd run a pair of 18 AWG wires down to the floor and label them L and R. Then you wouldn't have to pull the dash pad if/when you go to a different radio.

I added this because I didn't want to be drilling holes or mounting speakers on the doors and otherwise carving up the interior. The '73 dash doesn't have the speaker availability on each side of the dash.

It's not going to take a ton of wattage but gets the job done.

Why would I call you a dumb but?
Ok so you switched radios? Thats why i said call me dumb because it said about left and right wiring separately but how can i do that if im putting it in place of a single speaker? When it comes to wiring and any kind of electrical or electronics im like stevie wonder man!

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Mine had an OEM stereo radio in it (not aftermarket). You can wire the 2 speaker in parallel. That will half the impedance and you'll have to 'fade' out the front from the rear volume-wise to keep from overdriving them.

Stevie Wonder is the only one who knows where to scratch when he gets an itch.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Mine had an OEM stereo radio in it (not aftermarket). You can wire the 2 speaker in parallel. That will half the impedance and you'll have to 'fade' out the front from the rear volume-wise to keep from overdriving them.

Stevie Wonder is the only one who knows where to scratch when he gets an itch.
Help me here cus im electonically stupid.... lol are you sayin if i tag a wire off of both factory speaker wires to another speaker?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
If we're talking about the dual speaker I showed you, each speaker has a + and a - marked on them.

Take 4 wires and run one from each of those terminals to the floor.
Label them according to what is marked on the speaker terminals.
Call one side 'left' and the other 'right'.

Twist the 2 wires marked +L and +R together.
Twist the 2 wires marked -L and -R together.

Attach the + wire output from your radios' front + output to the + twisted pair.
Attach the - wire output from your radios' front - output to the - twisted pair.

If the speakers are 4 ohm speakers, wired as I said, they are now 2 ohm speakers. They will be louder but will be VERY easily over-driven (distorted).

Fold the wires neatly in a bundle and tie them up behind the radio.
I told you to cut the length to the floor because you may want to change you unit later and I wanted you to have enough to work with when you do so that you don't have to pull the dash pad again.

I presume that the rear speakers are already hooked up? Or, does your unit only have the 1 output?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
If we're talking about the dual speaker I showed you, each speaker has a + and a - marked on them.

Take 4 wires and run one from each of those terminals to the floor.
Label them according to what is marked on the speaker terminals.
Call one side 'left' and the other 'right'.

Twist the 2 wires marked +L and +R together.
Twist the 2 wires marked -L and -R together.

Attach the + wire output from your radios' front + output to the + twisted pair.
Attach the - wire output from your radios' front - output to the - twisted pair.

If the speakers are 4 ohm speakers, wired as I said, they are now 2 ohm speakers. They will be louder but will be VERY easily over-driven (distorted).

Fold the wires neatly in a bundle and tie them up behind the radio.
I told you to cut the length to the floor because you may want to change you unit later and I wanted you to have enough to work with when you do so that you don't have to pull the dash pad again.

I presume that the rear speakers are already hooked up? Or, does your unit only have the 1 output?
I only have 1 speaker from factory. Center dash. Im looking to add more but am too dumb to know how.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
If it's the original speaker, just replace it. It's had a good life.
Just splice in a pair of wires to the ones already there and put speakers wherever you want.
The more speakers you add, the lower your maximum volume due to the higher load.

Knock it off with this 'dumb' shiite. We all had to learn.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thats what ive got with 1 speaker in the dash

You must be registered for see images attach
Looks like the same one that I have. I will possibly upgrade it some day, but it works for me right now. I have thought about making an overhead console and hiding a more modern radio in it after I get some of the more important stuff done on my truck.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Looks like the same one that I have. I will possibly upgrade it some day, but it works for me right now. I have thought about making an overhead console and hiding a more modern radio in it after I get some of the more important stuff done on my truck.

Toss it in the glove box. (Yeah, I'm not gonna bother with a mod thread on that one.... Lol)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC