Shock+blocks lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyzrule810

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm doing a frame off restoration on a 87 k10.The guy i got truck from had these really beat up American racing wheels on it.I was able to find a set of rally wheels with trim rings and center caps that came off an 86 and had been sitting in the basement since 86 when he lifted the truck 6".He included front springs that only have 1200 miles on them.My question is can I use those springs in the front 4 new shocks and lift blocks in the rear.Only lifting it 2" since it's a cruiser and don't off-road with it and putting 33" tires on it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Are they stock springs or lift springs? Don't run blocks in the front, it's not safe. And lift springs from '86 probably ride VERY stiff.

chevyzrule810

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The springs are stock and were taken out just 1200 miles on them.Blocks in the rear ranchero shocks all around and steering stabilizer I'm thinking

chevyzrule810

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Anyone know how to figure out shock specs so i put the right ones in?

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
After you figure out your front springs, if they lift or not...
There is one exception to the 'no blocks on the front rule'... DIY4x4 or Offroad Designs have the easy inch 1" lift blocks that go right into the spring pack.

Or 1" body lift but please don't go more than that or the cab will eventually start to wiggle around... not good.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
the difference between a block and a zero/ez rate spring:

Blocks sit between the spring pack and the spring mount. They are NOT connected to the spring pack using the center pin, instead they're only held in place with the u bolts.

Zero/EZ rates are bolted to the spring pack using the center pin. Then the whole pack is connected using the u bolts.

Using Rancho's website: www.gorancho.com you can easily see the extended/compressed lengths of the shocks at your desired height (up to 4" of lift) for your truck. Then you can take those measurements and apply them to whichever brand you'd like to run. As long as they're pretty close, you'll be just fine.

If you were looking for a ton of flex, you'd wanna pull all the leaves but one and cycle the suspension and take you measurements from there.

I'm running a set of RS9000XL's on my truck and they ride real nice. Also have ability to quickly adjust the stiffness of them so you can set it exactly how you'd like it to ride.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128