Shaking while braking, needing some help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey everyone.

Finally getting to the point that I can start spending some money on my 83 k20. Figure it'd be best to start with the braking issue.

When normal braking from about 40+ I get a pretty rough shake, feels from side to side in the front end. If I brake harder or less the shake stops. I was thinking warped rotors, however part of me doesn't think its the same feel to the shake, and the other part feels that it would shake and any braking pressure.

Any ideas that I can check over?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Front spring bushings

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Front spring bushings

Thanks for the fast reply, is there anyway to tell visually? I just snapped these of the drive's side, Passenger looks about the same.

Any recommendation on a replacement brand? or will just whatever I find at the local Shucks work?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Energy Suspension black Poly bushings..

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I also know that my shocks have been on there quite a long while. Same goes for the steering stabilizer. Not sure if that would cause the problem or add to it at all.

Thanks 74, Ill pickup a set and swap them in.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Anything with slop will add to it, and don't forget any movement is multiplied at the other end.

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
I 2nd the Energy Suspension bushings...

always get the Black from them, no matter the application of bushing. These last longer than the other colors & also no squeaks down the line. The blacks have graphite incorporated into them which helps prevent squeaks, unlike the others.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I would think the steering stabilizer is okay if it's not bent, binding, or leaking, but they're only like $15 on RockAuto. Have you done the bounce test on your shocks? The diagnosis of the front spring bushings aside, I'd also jack up the front and see if anything has any play while you have steering/suspension on your mind.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So I found these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CSWPVE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A9C3XVKHZ6G15&psc=1
which beats the local shops prices by about $20.00 and is the same part numbers. I'll end up ordering them soon. Just started a new great paying job, (get paid monthly, at the end of the month) so everything gets put on hold for now.

The stabilizer and shocks seem solid and to work, no bouncy ride and no leaking. But The paint on them has disappeared completely. I'm thinking they are still good (for now) just have been on the truck for a very long time. They are on the replacement list. Probably with some skyjacker hydros and for the stabilizer I was thinking of going with skyjacker's dual setup, probably not really needed for only 33's but I figure it wouldn't hurt anything. But before I end up doing that I want to make sure my that all of the bushings are in good shape, and I'll probably swap out the steering shaft for the XJ shaft while I'm at it.

Figure that will make for a great handling/feeling setup on and off road, with still being able to haul my atv trailer to the mountains and coast.

Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
$40 on RockAuto and that's without the 5% discount we get. Just search the part # u see there on Amazon.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Oh damn, thanks for that. I'll go ahead and pick up a set for the front and rear while I'm at it.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
you find the code? Click the forums button up top.....then scroll to RockAuto.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
you find the code? Click the forums button up top.....then scroll to RockAuto.

I found it, but it says it expired last month the 20th? I'm sure they will update it soon and I'll get my parts ordered, might as well and get my brake rotors inspected while I'm waiting, just to make sure they are in good shape.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Looks like I'll also need to measure my shackle O.D. and the Main eye for the rear springs to make sure I get the right parts. I'll pull the tape measure out after work today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j250trxr