Service engine light no fuel cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Custom Deluxe

Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Truck Year
1985 and 1987
Truck Model
C10 and V20
Engine Size
305 and 350
Will having no fuel cap set off a service engine light on a 1987 chevy v20 ?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
There aren't any evaporative emissions codes for OBDI. That's not to say that it couldn't set exhaust codes, but I wouldn't bet all my money on that. To pull the codes, get a paperclip, jump the two top right pins on your ALDL connector (black plugin) located on the driver's side under the dash, turn the key to 'ON,' and then the SES light will start flashing. Count the flashes. It's gonna flash three Code 12s at you (one flash, a short pause, and two proximal flashes), and after that it'll show you the sequence of trouble codes. You just see how the flashes group to know what the codes are just like the Code 12 I mentioned. It'll store up to three codes, and it'll flash each trouble code three times. When the sequence is over, it'll flash you three 12s again. Also, you should really put a gas cap on it. You risk dirt getting in there and expediting the need for a new strainer sock, fuel filter, or both.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Not to mention smelling gas all the time, put a gas cap on it..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell