School me on 3 speed manuals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I've seen at least a couple. I've also seen an '87 short van with the 4.3 and 3 speed. It had been converted to floor shift too.

Not sure when the last year was but I seem to recall the C10 we had was a 1985.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
now that you mention the vans, I do recall rearing of an early astro van being equipped with a manual. I recall they said the shifter was really odd because it ran forward from between the front seats.

I forgot about the Astro vans, but those didn't get the Saginaw 3 speed. I saw one that was a 2.5 with a 4 speed Borg Warner of some sort and another that had a Borg Warner T5 and a tbi 350 swapped in. I'm not sure if the T5 was original or not.

But the '87 I saw was a weird one. It was a G10 conversion van with manual windows and locks, along with that 4.3/saginaw combo. The column shifter was removed and had a hole hacked into the floor for the aftermarket floor shifter.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
now that you mention the vans, I do recall rearing of an early astro van being equipped with a manual. I recall they said the shifter was really odd because it ran forward from between the front seats.

I forgot about the Astro vans, but those didn't get the Saginaw 3 speed. I saw one that was a 2.5 with a 4 speed Borg Warner of some sort....

Yeah, I have seen just one of those early Astros (mid/late 80's?), with the factory floor shift. I can't remember if it was a 4 or 5 speed. It sure was a weird setup though. The positioning of the lever was real odd...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, I have seen just one of those early Astros (mid/late 80's?), with the factory floor shift. I can't remember if it was a 4 or 5 speed. It sure was a weird setup though. The positioning of the lever was real odd...

With all that room between the front bucket seats and the flat floor, the shifter location was great. You could easily put your beer back in your ice filled cooler every time you had to shift.

Lol

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
lol, that's what I remember hearing about it too, the odd shifter arraingement.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Drop in an Eaton 8-speed and a split rear axle.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
lol, that's what I remember hearing about it too, the odd shifter arraingement.
Yeah, it was like way too forward. The customer always had crap in the dash cupholders, or whatever it was there. A real bitch with theirs to get into first or third... Lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, it was like way too forward. The customer always had crap in the dash cupholders, or whatever it was there. A real bitch with theirs to get into first or third... Lol

Forward? The ones I saw had the shifter back next to the seat. Like way back. The area where the dash met the floor was the "dog box" removable cover. It exposed the rear of the engine, where the trans was bolted up.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Forward? The ones I saw had the shifter back next to the seat. Like way back. The area where the dash met the floor was the "dog box" removable cover. It exposed the rear of the engine, where the trans was bolted up.

Yeah, exactly. The dog house had a couple bolts under the hood you had to loosen to remove it. Like 15 or 17 MM ones. Right? Same rig? It had a little ledge where you could put stuff on. The customer always had tons of crap on it. Lol. Made it hard to pull it in the shop. This one was way forward, and it sure looked OE. Who knows, maybe it wasn't....

We are talking about a 30 year old rig, and this was 20 years ago, so sure. Too far forwards. Too far back. Whatever- it was in a jacked up place to shift it....

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, exactly. The dog house had a couple bolts under the hood you had to loosen to remove it. Like 15 or 17 MM ones. Right? Same rig? It had a little ledge where you could put stuff on. The customer always had tons of crap on it. Lol. Made it hard to pull it in the shop. This one was way forward, and it sure looked OE. Who knows, maybe it wasn't....

We are talking about a 30 year old rig, and this was 20 years ago, so sure. Too far forwards. Too far back. Whatever- it was in a jacked up place to shift it....

Beats me. Every manual trans rwd van I've seen, whether it be full size, Astro or even Econoline furds, the shifter was next to and almost behind the seat. Not actually behind, but it feels that way when you drive it.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I worked at FDRs little White House in the late 80s and my boss ordered a new shortbed 2wd pickup with the three speed on the column.

I’m not sure about the Chevys but on the old fords the way you adjust the linkage is

Replace all the bushings you can find on all the linkage

Put the column the shift linkage in N
Loosen the nuts on the levers coming out of the transmission , rock the levers back and forth until you can tell they are in Neutral

There is a small hole in both levers under the hood
Find a drill bit that is a tight fit sliding thru both holes to line them up
Tighten the nuts on the transmission

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
Or install a replacement floor shift. If you do it right, the hole in the floor is only a slot 1 1/2" wide by 4" long.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Column shift is fun though. And so odd by today's standards.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Thanks all for the replies. Got some really good info. Sadly it looks like the guy sold it without replying to me.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I see where you didn't get the truck, but maybe the below info will help someone else in the future.

My 82 C10 had 3-on-the-tree when I bought it. The shifter linkage was very sloppy because many of the internal steering column parts were worn out. I can tell you from hours upon hours of searching, 75% of the parts are simply are not available. I ended up shimming the IDs of a few steering column rotating parts, which helped a lot.

However, the killer for me was a pot metal "shift bowl" that was cracked where the shift handle is secured by a pin. The crack was epoxied, but I didn't trust it. I never was able to find a new shift bowl anywhere in the country. I advertised my column for sale and pointed out its last remaining problem, and actually sold it to a guy who happened to have a new NOS shift bowl! What a great deal that was for him and me.

I converted to a TH350 trans, but had I kept the Saginaw I would have used a Hurst floor shifter and a "blank" shift bowl bowl for the column. I have that P/N somewhere if you need it.

As for the Saginaw 3-speed transmission itself, virtually every part is available for it. Simply google "Saginaw three speed transmission". There's are some reputable shops that sell professionally rebuilt ones for around $600, as I recall. Keep in mind there are 4 sets of gears ratios available. The 250 six uses a very low 3.50:1 first gear to get the truck moving, but that gear wouldn't live very long behind a V-8. The 3.11, 2.85, and 2.54 ratios are used behind the 292, 305, and 350.

Grooves on input shaft:

None

1 Groove

2 Grooves

3 Grooves

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey