Sand blast cabinet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OkieFishMan

Certified Camping and Fishing Nut
Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
I believe I have a 50lb bucket of aluminum oxide in a medical grade "ultra fine" that we used for refurbishing some stainless steel devices. I did a great job on my ancient BBC M/T valve covers. Almost made them shiny!
Yeah, I bought my aluminum oxide at Tractor Supply. It is a courser grain and works really well to remove rust and paint. It kinda etches the metal and leaves a surface that all you have to do is wipe with alcohol or paint thinner and then it takes paint great.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Can you use baking soda in a blaster without modifying it? I thought there was something different about a soda blaster.
I put it in a funnel hung through a C-clamp about 6' above shooting level. Works pretty good. Every so often I have to thump the funnel, no big deal.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
This is the harbor freight unit?

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
This is the harbor freight unit?

Yes it is. It is a pretty good cabinet, do the upgrades, I think it will be great for the DYI guy.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
For those interested in the HF cabinet, This fellow on Ytube, Rafeal Alvarez, did an excellent build and modification series on the cabinet... So good in fact that if you chose to search the parts on the internet you can save a bundle, buy most of the conversion parts on Amazon and ebay, and not shell out the money that you would have to in order to buy the Tacoma kit. Also the Tacoma website is down right now so I just know they charge a pretty penny for the upgrade kits from memory.

Here is the build and upgrade starting point. this guy is very thorough, probably more-so than I will ever be when I get around to this.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

And here is another video where the fellow gives a list of where he got the parts to make his own upgrade gun and feed setup.

One more build and upgrade video done by Keith Rucker at Vintage Machines. It's been a while since I watched it so I can't recall how detailed it was but all these guys do a good job of detailing how to do this without spending more than necessary for just the parts (and not someones upsell kit). They also do a good job of explaining how the changes improve the cabinet and more importantly why.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
For those interested in the HF cabinet, This fellow on Ytube, Rafeal Alvarez, did an excellent build and modification series on the cabinet... So good in fact that if you chose to search the parts on the internet you can save a bundle, buy most of the conversion parts on Amazon and ebay, and not shell out the money that you would have to in order to buy the Tacoma kit. Also the Tacoma website is down right now so I just know they charge a pretty penny for the upgrade kits from memory.

Here is the build and upgrade starting point. this guy is very thorough, probably more-so than I will ever be when I get around to this.
Wow, he has about 10 videos on this..

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Yes and they are long, but they are very detailed... And it turns a HF POS into a real jewel...

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Been debating wether to get one or not so I saved the vids, maybe they'll help me decide, lol..

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Been debating wether to get one or not so I saved the vids, maybe they'll help me decide, lol..

I have one, and have done some of the vid mods, I'm happy with it, took some fiddling, but it works. WIsh it was a bit larger though.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have one, and have done some of the vid mods, I'm happy with it, took some fiddling, but it works. WIsh it was a bit larger though.
Cool, I may just get one, seems like anything you get ends being to small, lol..

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
would you guys use almond for blasting outdoors in the open air? I have a sandblaster I used on vws over 15 years ago. thinking about firing it up on my frame where I can't get sand paper into.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
would you guys use almond for blasting outdoors in the open air? I have a sandblaster I used on vws over 15 years ago. thinking about firing it up on my frame where I can't get sand paper into.
I've done sand outside. Turned my yard into a beach, but was cool. Lol. Never have used almond...

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Cool, I may just get one, seems like anything you get ends being to small, lol..

Well, wheels and intakes are a pain to do in it, and are the bulk of the things I want to blast and powdercoat lol.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I'm the same on the size, wish it was bigger. But it is great on the smaller things. I'm about to upgrade the gun to the Cambell Hausefield see if that does any better.

As far a almond, I was told use anything biodegradable, or set yourself up a containment area with tarps.

I did change my sand blasting material to crushed glass. It is so much better than the other. Cheaper also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK