Rust prevention

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xman

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I've been looking on YouTube about rust prevention for the doors of my truck. There is no rust in the doors at this time. Would like to keep them that way. I saw a video about melting petroleum jelly and pouring into the bottom of the doors. This got me to thinking about other products made specifically for rust prevention. Blaster makes a product for this called Blaster Heavy Duty Corrosion Stop. I also read about a similar CRC product that sets up as a thicker coating than what is actually sprayed out of the can. I'm a bit concerned that these types of products may clog the door drains. The drains could be cleaned out but due to the extreme summer heat here in South Florida they may clog again as it "melts" (so to speak). It rains very hard here and water will collect in the doors. I'm also concerned how whatever goes into the door smells after applied. Has anyone had experiences with this type of rust prevention?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I think the logic of your thought process answered your own question. At least for me it did. If leaves and pine straw clogging those drains will cause rust, which they do, imagine what something totally hydrophobic coating the bottom of the inside of the door will do, especially with water pooling up when it rains. I can’t say what the best solution is because the only stuff I’ve treated/proofed is on my frame and undercarriage.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I have used fluid film on my truck for the last few years. At this point I'm just trying to slow things down- my panels are already pretty rusted.

Basically it seems to be kinda like a WD-40 mixed with wax that you spray on. It smells for a few days- then the smell goes away. The wax or whatever it is floats up to the surface so when I drive down dusty roads it doesn't stick to it.

If you buy it in spray cans you can get a small hose with a brass nozzle on the end of it. With this you can fish it into the square hollow tubes under the bed and coat hard to reach areas.

I go thru and do a touch up/ re-apply once a year in the late summer to prepare for winter.

https://www.fluid-film.com/

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

mags468

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Just spay it with oil.