rust covertors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kgc4160

Reaction score
First Name
kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
anybody use these type of products..spray on rust convertors.. was thinking i might try it on some light rust spots.. and if some of you have used them..whats the best

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
anybody use these type of products..spray on rust convertors.. was thinking i might try it on some light rust spots.. and if some of you have used them..whats the best

FWIW - I have become a big fan of a product called Rust Reformer from Rustoleum. It is the only Rustoleum product I use. It seems (to me anyway) that the rest of their stuff is junk - and big $$.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I use Evaporust for bolts and small items items. They say you can use it on flat metal by keeping a paper towel soaked. I've used Rustoleum on the the inside surface of a tailgate before. It lasted 4 years without painting it and never rusted.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I use both of these types of products with good success.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I used Ospho on my exhaust manifolds before painting. It did better than I expected. Read up on it. Looks like Ace Hardware has it for $27 a gallon. I put it in a spray bottle and only used about 8-10 oz to treat the manifolds. Doesn't take a lot.....just get it wet and let it do it's thing over night. Of course knock off what rust build up you can with a brush or grinder.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=53177286

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A local farm store used to sell a spray converter like the Rust-Oleum, it worked really well. It was rather impressive. But that place closed years ago and I haven't seen the product anywhere else. The Rust-Oleum stuff works almost as well.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I used Ospho on my exhaust manifolds before painting. It did better than I expected. Read up on it. Looks like Ace Hardware has it for $27 a gallon. I put it in a spray bottle and only used about 8-10 oz to treat the manifolds. Doesn't take a lot.....just get it wet and let it do it's thing over night. Of course knock off what rust build up you can with a brush or grinder.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=53177286

X2 on the Ospho (a phosphoric acid/zinc solution). It's good stuff - even holds up in the marine environment. Be sure and rinse with plenty of fresh water prior to applying any coatings. If the zinc phosphate "crust" is allowed to remain on the surface of the base metal, the coatings won't adhere properly and will fail quickly.

I also use the POR-15 product called Metal-Ready. Same zinc/phosphate type stuff.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
The guys I know that have actually did this swear by the Rustoleum Rust Reformer. Just sayin'

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I just did my "spring cleaning" on my square after a long nasty winter. Lots of rust on the frame, axles, underside of the bed...

What would be best? Wire brush it to knock off the loose rust then the POR-15 Metal-Ready with a brush?

The de-icer here is so nasty it is alarming at how fast my truck is being eaten.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Don't we already have this exact same thread with the exact same typo?

Norwester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Prior to redoing the carpet on my '86, I removed the seat and old carpeting......and a ton of old glue. I found a patch of rust on both sides of the hump. Maybe the size of a dinner plate. It wasn't scaling or loose but I figured to address it before the carpet. I took a wire wheel to the floor, vacuumed it and then washed it down with lacquer thinner. I bought some brush on stuff from Eastwood called Rust Encapsulator and put it on pretty heavy all over the floor, actually two coats. I had also purchased some Flex Seal ( the TV stuff advertised) for another project and I put a coat down on the floors. It goes on like thick black paint and has a rubbery feel to it when it dries. The stuff from Eastwood was around $35.00 for a pint but I don't remember what the Flex Seal cost. Maybe an expensive way to address rust but I'm very confident it'll hold up well.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Prior to redoing the carpet on my '86, I removed the seat and old carpeting......and a ton of old glue. I found a patch of rust on both sides of the hump. Maybe the size of a dinner plate. It wasn't scaling or loose but I figured to address it before the carpet. I took a wire wheel to the floor, vacuumed it and then washed it down with lacquer thinner. I bought some brush on stuff from Eastwood called Rust Encapsulator and put it on pretty heavy all over the floor, actually two coats. I had also purchased some Flex Seal ( the TV stuff advertised) for another project and I put a coat down on the floors. It goes on like thick black paint and has a rubbery feel to it when it dries. The stuff from Eastwood was around $35.00 for a pint but I don't remember what the Flex Seal cost. Maybe an expensive way to address rust but I'm very confident it'll hold up well.

Well actually... no.
Encapsulator is a temporary band aid if you can't do it properly, or at least half properly (CONVERTER). The encapulated rust will continue to eat the metal and one day the whole encapsulated patch will fall out.

Sorry you missed it but the whole idea of this thread is to think about converters.
Anyway the good news is that you have bought some time before the Flintstone mod kicks in (no floorboards).

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
FWIW - I have become a big fan of a product called Rust Reformer from Rustoleum. It is the only Rustoleum product I use. It seems (to me anyway) that the rest of their stuff is junk - and big $$.

I ,too have friend who is into square bodies BIG TIME and swears by Rustoleum Rust Reformer. That's what I'm going to use based on his years of experience using it.

Sorry you missed it but the whole idea of this thread is to think about converters. Anyway the good news is that you have bought some time before the Flintstone mod kicks in (no floorboards).[/QUOTE said:
"Flintstone mod" never heard that before. That's too funny! :D

Norwester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Well actually... no.
Encapsulator is a temporary band aid if you can't do it properly, or at least half properly (CONVERTER). The encapulated rust will continue to eat the metal and one day the whole encapsulated patch will fall out.

Sorry you missed it but the whole idea of this thread is to think about converters.
Anyway the good news is that you have bought some time before the Flintstone mod kicks in (no floorboards).

You may be right. We'll see. I researched the various products extensively and found a lot of people praising it. In fact, your opinion is the only thing I've read that is negative. I am confident that it'll work fine in my application.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j250trxr