Running a carb with in-tank electric pump on 'Burb?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

suburble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
Hey all-

I've been having recurring fuel delivery issues on my '86 Burb. I'm also planning on eventually (down the road) converting to a Fuel Injection setup of some type.

For the interim, I'm in need of replacing the mechanical fuel pump, and I'm considering the following:

-New 40gal tank for '91 R2500 'Burb (has internal baffles)
-change to in-tank electric pump / sender for '91 R2500
-use by-pass type regulator w/ return line to drop the pressure down for carb

I figure if I'm going to throw money at it, I might as well work up toward my long-term goal...

Here's what I'd like to bounce off the group:

-Will my existing gas gauge in the '86 work with the sender signal from the '91 sending unit?

-All I need to do is power the pump using a relay powered by a circuit that's tied to keyed power?

-Am I missing anything else?

Rock Auto has a kit with tank, sender / pump, and straps for under $200
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6322311&cc=1301689&jsn=587&jsn=587

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

-Josh

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That will work fine. The only problem could be how you plan to wire the pump, if the ignition is just left on for a while. You could also just have a simple toggle switch for the pump relay, that only gets power when the ignition is on (and while cranking). Then you could just kill power to the pump if needed.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Install oil pressure switch that was used in tbi motors and install momentary push button. The oil pressure switch will close while engine is running making the pump die in case of failure. Momentary push button used to prime the fuel system for quicker start. Still use the relay, just have it triggered either by button or the pressure switch. And have a fuel pressure regulator before the carb

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You will need a regulator and run a relay with a normally closed contact. It will have an 85,86,3087 and 87a. Wire it as any other relay but use the 87a terminal wired to key on and trigger off in crank position. This way you won't over load the system. When key returns to normal run position the relay will power your pump. Kinda works as a load reduction set up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg