Rocker replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
So I took a vid of what I'm dealing with on my rockers here. I replaced it all once, but the outer rocker was too high, my door scraped.

I've seen people say fit the outer to fit the door, but I'm unsure of exactly where to put the A pillar, it can easily go up or down a 1/2 inch without anything tying it in.

I have a little over a week off around the fourth, so I'm hoping to at least get it roughed in at that time.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I myself would put another brace in that won't interfere with the door. Hang the door and build off of that, you should be able to see and mark locations from under the truck threw the chasm that was tour floor. That door itself will act as a brace too. You can use wooden door shims to set your caps and they will not ground arc once you start tacking stuff in place. Once you have it tacked good and your happy with the gaps remove the door and weld it in. You can now fill in any gaps you may end up with.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I myself would put another brace in that won't interfere with the door. Hang the door and build off of that, you should be able to see and mark locations from under the truck threw the chasm that was tour floor. That door itself will act as a brace too. You can use wooden door shims to set your caps and they will not ground arc once you start tacking stuff in place. Once you have it tacked good and your happy with the gaps remove the door and weld it in. You can now fill in any gaps you may end up with.

Exactly what I would do. Going to need to hang the door and get the gap set on the back and top. Regarding the brace, mark its location and take some measurements in case things move and cut it out. you need about 3/8" of a gap between the outer rocker and the door. If you can find some magnets that thick you could stick the outer to the bottom of the door.

An alternative would be to measure down to the bottom of the door from the hinge and latch pin and do some math to locate the bottom.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Exactly what I would do. Going to need to hang the door and get the gap set on the back and top. Regarding the brace, mark its location and take some measurements in case things move and cut it out. you need about 3/8" of a gap between the outer rocker and the door. If you can find some magnets that thick you could stick the outer to the bottom of the door.

An alternative would be to measure down to the bottom of the door from the hinge and latch pin and do some math to locate the bottom.
I also wouldn't have cut so much out at one time. If you work small your mistakes will be small and easily fixed.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
So, I should hang the door as it sits with nothing at the bottom, jack the A pillar and trim the outer as needed, then slide the inner in and mark it?

Once that's done, weld the inner, kick panel, floor, and outer?

I didn't consider using the hinges and latch to compare with, that's pretty clever!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
If you do rehang the door and use it for reference, be sure your hinges are tight. If not it's a great time to rebush them.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
If you do rehang the door and use it for reference, be sure your hinges are tight. If not it's a great time to rebush them.

It has brand new Dorman bushings, but they suck. I need ot get OE ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28