RetroSound install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Looks great. I’m just too cheap to spend the money. That and I spent 20 years as a radio repairman.

I did internal surgery on this old GM 2700. My problem now is the cosmetic surgery I am going to have to do on my dash.

P.O. butchered the metal. I picked up a new bezel but there is nothing behind the bezel for stability.

Do you still work on them for other people?

routha

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Looks great. I’m just too cheap to spend the money. That and I spent 20 years as a radio repairman.

I did internal surgery on this old GM 2700. My problem now is the cosmetic surgery I am going to have to do on my dash.

P.O. butchered the metal. I picked up a new bezel but there is nothing behind the bezel for stability.

You must be registered for see images attach

I was shopping around for an original radio in the beginning.

Forgive me, as I'm not well versed in the earlier radios, but is there a 2700 series radio with a digital tuner?

routha

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
It doesn't look amazing. Since the hole in the Bezel is already there I would have just cut the dash and gone with something full featured, but that is just me. Chevy trucks have been getting single dins cut in the dash since single dins have been around so it's not like its sacrilege...

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
350/Th400, 4.56 with 35" BFG MT
Cool radio, too bad they don't have USB... Could make a couple tabs and weld them in to mount the radio.
Umm..... USB and Aux inputs remote mounted in panel that covers ashtray hole next to DC charger. I’m covering all my bases here LOL.

I’ve been in garage this morning finishing up my rear speaker brackets and mounting my amp.

I don’t have much to work with. Huge rectangle cut in dash. Bigger than single din but not quite 1.5 din.

routha has something there at least. I’m gonna have to figure out how much to dip in on the recess so the bezel will fit well. I’m probably going to have to do a couple mock ups till I get it right.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Umm..... USB and Aux inputs remote mounted in panel that covers ashtray hole next to DC charger.
EXACTLY!!!..:D

I’ve been in garage this morning finishing up my rear speaker brackets and mounting my amp.

I don’t have much to work with. Huge rectangle cut in dash. Bigger than single din but not quite 1.5 din.

routha has something there at least. I’m gonna have to figure out how much to dip in on the recess so the bezel will fit well. I’m probably going to have to do a couple mock ups till I get it right.
A little creativity and it shouldn't be too hard to do, I've had them butchered up so bad I had to make a full plate to mount the radio, then make a faceplate for the bezel since they chopped that up too. Some people shouldn't own tools let alone be allowed to work on ****, lol..

routha

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Well it might be sacraligious and I don't claim to be an expert metal worker, but I have one side of the center speaker hole trimmed to fit a 4" speaker. I'm starting to think I should of just bought a 4x10.

F*** IT! Are you silly? I'm still gonna send it!

This latest installment brought to you by Busch Light and a Dremel. I sure wish I would of bought one of these whirly birds sooner; they are frickin sweet!

They work well to cut metal and the boy's pinewood derby car is going to look KICKA**!

routha

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Finished up (kind of) last night at 2a. Center 4" speakers mounted and wired. They sound pretty darn good for what they are. Drove about thirty miles at highway speeds and they sounded great.

I'm shopping around for some stuff to mount the 3.5" speakers under the brackets so they don't hit the dash. I think I have it figured out.

I won't be doing the sound deadening or running the wires for the amp, sub, and 6x9s this go around. I have some ignition/fuel gremlins to work out and bills to pay.

Thanks for the feedback you all.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Well it might be sacraligious and I don't claim to be an expert metal worker, but I have one side of the center speaker hole trimmed to fit a 4" speaker. I'm starting to think I should of just bought a 4x10.

F*** IT! Are you silly? I'm still gonna send it!

This latest installment brought to you by Busch Light and a Dremel. I sure wish I would of bought one of these whirly birds sooner; they are frickin sweet!

They work well to cut metal and the boy's pinewood derby car is going to look KICKA**!

Im diggin the evel knievel poster!!!! Also the kevin harvick can... my favorite nascar druver!

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Let us know what you do to get the speakers lowered..

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
350/Th400, 4.56 with 35" BFG MT
The Delco GM 2700 ETR is the radio with the yellow digital tune screen. They are hard to come by for less than three bills. That is what my truck originally had installed. I was looking for one. I wanted to swap out the LCD for a blue LCD and build it out. But I can't pull the trigger on a receiver that is really only worth like $50 to start with.

I'm not audio junky. I don't stream or have any down loads. I usually just jam out to what ever the FM is tuning in.

I bought so really tall 3.5" speakers for the dash in my 86. I ended up doing an under mount to get them low enough for the dash pad to cover. Now cab swapping to a 79 cab that doesn't have any holes except the center speaker hole. Going to have to get creative.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Need to start a thread on that project..

routha

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Let us know what you do to get the speakers lowered..

I picked up some nylon bushings and speed nuts at the hardware store. I under mounted the speaker and used the nylon bushings as a spacer. I clipped the speed nuts onto the speaker tabs and ran a #10 self tapper through the original mount, through the spacer, and into the speed but clip. It all fastened together well and securely and gave the tweeter enough clearance.

I'll take the dash apart again in the next couple of days to touch a picture of it.

The passenger side wasn't an issue. i just put the speaker underneath and ran the a screw through into the supplies fastener.

I had to Dremel off a 1/4" to 1/2" of the bottom of each screw after I tightened them because they hit on the dash.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I picked up some nylon bushings and speed nuts at the hardware store. I under mounted the speaker and used the nylon bushings as a spacer. I clipped the speed nuts onto the speaker tabs and ran a #10 self tapper through the original mount, through the spacer, and into the speed but clip. It all fastened together well and securely and gave the tweeter enough clearance.

I'll take the dash apart again in the next couple of days to touch a picture of it.

The passenger side wasn't an issue. i just put the speaker underneath and ran the a screw through into the supplies fastener.

I had to Dremel off a 1/4" to 1/2" of the bottom of each screw after I tightened them because they hit on the dash.
Ahhh, very cool, sounds easy enough to do, was wondering if they would fit under there without a bunch of surgery..

routha

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Ahhh, very cool, sounds easy enough to do, was wondering if they would fit under there without a bunch of surgery..

The 3.5"s fit in the factory brackets and holes with minimal tweaking. .

4"ers would be a struggle on the driver's side. The instrument cluster would be in the way and you'd have to come up with a new bracket. Potentially have to cut the hole in the dash as well.

I've read about guys fitting them in but it seems like too much hacking and tweaking for my taste.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84