RetroSound install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

routha

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I bought my truck in October from Craigslist after seeing pictures and saying "that's the one." I went to look at it twice and noticed a few things here and there that were wrongbut ignored those things because i had to have it.

One of the things that was readily apparent was the missing radio and hack job on the dash. I pointed it out to the previous owner (who had it for 6+ years) and his response was "it was never there, I just listened to the tone of the pipes, man"

Bulls***

You must be registered for see images attach

routha

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Regardless, I bought the truck with the intention of "throwing a new deck in" down the road.

Silly me!

Within the first 1,000 miles I had to replace the water pump, alternator, radiator, and other odds and ends. That cut into my funds SIGNIFICANTLY.

I got the truck back on the road and drove it while I saved my washingtons, planning out the ideal stereo. In the meantime, I bought a cheap Bluetooth speaker to tide me over.

Come December, I finally have some change set aside to start piecing together a stereo. I started to notice some small puddles under the truck in December as well. I took it in to get looked at and to fix the leaks was minimal; intake and valve cover gaskets. However, as luck would have it, the front wheel joints were shot as well and needed to be replaced. A good chunk of change later and I was back on the road but forced to rock out on the cheap-o Bluetooth speaker.

I worked a few side jobs in January to get caught up on bills and also replenish my "truck fund." Hard work paid off and by last week I was finally in a comfortable spot to buy a radio and speakers

After sifting through multiple threads on various forums, I went with a RetroSound Hermosa and two 3.5" Kickers for the corners of the dash and two 4" Kickers for the center.

I didn't realize the RetroSound was delivered with "some assembled required" but it wasn't too bad in the end

routha

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
So, join me on this adventure you all and feel free to impart wisdom upon me where you see fit!

The speakers are on their way and hopefully by next weekend I will be rocking to Billie Jean without having to recharge my sound source every four hours.

I saw a comment somewhere where a guy recommended replacing the 4x10 center dash speaker with two 4". In doing so, you could wire the left corner speaker and the left 4" together and wire the right two together as well. Seemed to make sense to me but I'll admit it, I've made mistakes before.

I'm also going to run the wires for an amp and 6 x 9s in the rear corners but won't install those until funds allow. I also plan on buying an Infiniti powered subwoofer for under the seat. Again, when funds allow for it.

Before getting the amp, 6x9s, and sub, I'll be putting sound deadening down on the floor and potentially in the door panels. "N2trux" had recommended silent coat and that is the route I plan on going

B.K. Cunningham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
25 Hundred
Engine Size
It was the same thing for my 74. Luckily the p.o. had a AC Delco tape deck in the crate of parts he gave me so I threw that in. Works good on one speaker.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Looking forward to seeing this project..

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I installed the same type of radio in my '75, and it works well. I even have bluetooth to my phone and a speaker so that I can answer the phone and talk hands-free. This is a really interesting design radio, since it is made in three pieces (head unit and two control shafts), which are connected with wires that look like Cat 5.

The tedious part of the installation is to get the front/back spacing right on the head unit and the two side pieces with the controls. Everything is adjustable, which sounds good unless you have another radio to use for comparison. I did not have an old radio to use for comparison.

You need to adjust the head unit side brackets so that it sticks through as much as you want, and then tighten the brackets down. The head unit should be supported by a back bracket that runs down behind the dash, and initially the control shafts can just support it loosely in the holes in the dash.

Then adjust each control shaft so that it will stick through enough to clear the plastic dash bezel after its installed, and tighten it down. If the control shafts don't stick out enough, the knobs and the spinner behind the knobs will tend to pop off very easily, and/or pop out if the plastic dash bezel flexes.

The reason you need the knobs and spinners to be reliable and solid on the shafts is that they are used to control various functions on the radio. You use them to switch inputs, go into setup mode, etc. Its very inconvenient if they aren't solidly on the shafts.

My '75 does not have cutouts for stereo speakers on the top of the dash, so I used a center dash stereo speaker. I also have 6x9's in the doors. I like this combo better than just the 6x9's because the door speakers are too low provide good high frequency sound. The single dash stereo speaker does not have much stereo separation, but it brings sound up much closer to your ears, and gets good sound reflection off the windshield.

Bruce

routha

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
UPDATE

Well the dash pad and instrument cluster were pulled without issue with an 8mm socket and Phillips screw driver.

I've started looking around and where the radio mounts to looks more mangled than I remember. Should I tack weld this before installing the radio? I'm going to push on for the time being and at least get the bracketry for the radio aligned.

On the plus side, my truck did come with factory corner speakers and the brackets were still there. Cross my fingers, but I shouldn't have too many issues installing the 3.5" Kickers.

After looking at the center dash speaker, I'm wondering how I'm going to mount the two 4"s in place of the factory 4x10. I don't have the speakers here yet, but when I get them I'll find out more. I'm going to continue to look around for a bracket to mount the two 4"ers or make my own. Worst case scenario, I'll send them back and get a 4x10.

Good news, the factory harness and wires to the speaker appear to be there. However, I may end up running new 16ga wire to the speakers anyways.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
That's about right.

Go to:
https://www.parts-express.com/brand/tang-band/276

and check out the Tang Band speakers. I got one of their 4" sub-woofers with the neodymium magnets. Doesn't take up a lot of space and has sounded well for over 5 years.

routha

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Have you run out of connectors or don't know how to solder? F*** it! Just tie the wires together and put a little electrical tape over it!

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
The wire nut was a nice touch.
The scary thing is I've seen worse.

routha

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Well it's in. . . It doesn't look amazing but when I get a different cluster bezel it should look better.

Pros; lots of features, general appearance is nice

Cons; more detailed instructions, I had quite a few parts leftover

I'm waiting on speakers yet. I had an extra four inch laying around so I hooked it up. It sounded fine and was plenty loud.

Pictured below are the radio in and the back strap to hold it up. I put a few bends in it and drilled a hole in the plate above the throttle. Between the shafts and true strap, it should be plenty secure

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Looks good, I wouldn't get another bezel, I'd just make a nice face plate for it would look great.

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
350/Th400, 4.56 with 35" BFG MT
Looks great. I’m just too cheap to spend the money. That and I spent 20 years as a radio repairman.

I did internal surgery on this old GM 2700. My problem now is the cosmetic surgery I am going to have to do on my dash.

P.O. butchered the metal. I picked up a new bezel but there is nothing behind the bezel for stability.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Cool radio, too bad they don't have USB... Could make a couple tabs and weld them in to mount the radio.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes