Repost: Ground Isuue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DillyTheKid85

Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
Hello all, just hoping to pick some brains about a continuous ground issue I've had in my Suburban for awhile now. I have lost my horn, dome/cargo lamps, cig lighter, and my radio (tape deck still works?). I have managed to swap a new bulb in the courtesy lamp, so it now works, however I did not regain power to any other accessories. I have power on both sides of the Ctsy and Horn fuses. Any ideas? (Cigarette also controlled power to the radio before it went out. If the lighter was in place Radio would work, if removed it would cut out.)

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
It sounds like something's wonky with the cigarette lighter to me. I know after years of plugging phone chargers, radar detectors, and air compressors in them, they'll short internally and take everything that's on their circuit with them. I'd try a new cigarette lighter or 12V power point to start if it were me.

DillyTheKid85

Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
Guess it couldn’t hurt to try. I can’t believe how crazy the wiring systems are on these trucks. Lol. Is there any way to bypass the lighter to see if that’s the issue? Or am I gonna have to replace the whole unit before I find out more?

DillyTheKid85

Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
I forgot to add an important fact! When I bought this truck, it had a 25 amp fuse plugged into the Ctsy socket, which calls for a 20a fuse if I am correct.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8