Removing a Tailgate Bow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I think there is less chance of paint and other physical damage if all movement during the straightening process is limited to up and down..

The 'gate is almost useless in it's present condition.. If I damage it trying to straighten it, I haven't lost much.. The $400 - $500 to replace it scares me...

$400-500....they aren't that much for a tailgate shell. I just paid $200 for a replacement. $325 total for the tailgate and paint.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
$400-500....they aren't that much for a tailgate shell. I just paid $200 for a replacement. $325 total for the tailgate and paint.
His is a 71 may be more do to more steel.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
I've already checked on prices.. A reproduction "slick" tailgate is around $160 - $200 plus oversize package shipping, depending on the vendor source. Then it has to be massaged to remove the manufacturing and shipping imperfections and fine tune the fit. Then there's hardware installation, and finally, primered, skimcoated, and painted.. Some of the work I can do myself, But that's the "turn key" price range I've been quoted.

I'm not looking to just cheap-out patch the tailgate. The tailgate is ok for a normal everyday driver.. If I can straighten it and repaint it, then I've saved a few bucks.. If I can straighten it without damaging the paint, I'm just that much ahead..

The truck is a few steps above an everyday driver, and I don't want to "compromise" that appearance. Except for some minor weathering that has occurred over the past 10 years, the body of this truck is cherry.. I'm not gonna just slap some old tailgate on the ass of it...

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
I've already checked on prices.. A reproduction "slick" tailgate is around $160 - $200 plus oversize package shipping, depending on the vendor source. Then it has to be massaged to remove the manufacturing and shipping imperfections and fine tune the fit. Then there's hardware installation, and finally, primered, skimcoated, and painted.. Some of the work I can do myself, But that's the "turn key" price range I've been quoted.

I'm not looking to just cheap-out patch the tailgate. The tailgate is ok for a normal everyday driver.. If I can straighten it and repaint it, then I've saved a few bucks.. If I can straighten it without damaging the paint, I'm just that much ahead..

The truck is a few steps above an everyday driver, and I don't want to "compromise" that appearance. Except for some minor weathering that has occurred over the past 10 years, the body of this truck is cherry.. I'm not gonna just slap some old tailgate on the ass of it...

Well...if it's in the condition like you stated (tailgate), and the truck is more than a daily driver....fork out the cash and do it the right way. If you want to keep the overall appearance of a nice truck that is taken care of, replace the tailgate instead of trying to,save a few bucks. More often then not, you will end of spending more time and money trying to fix something old and damaged then just to replace it with a new part.

Believe me....with all of the trucks and cars that I have restored, I know.

Shop around as there are more and more vendors with options. Hell...you may even get lucky and find a truck bed with a tailgate for the same price. Texas is the second largest state in the nation, with probably the most trucks per capita.

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
His is a 71 may be more do to more steel.

True....but like he stated it is more than a daily driver truck. Sounds more like he would be better off replacing the tailgate with a new one rather than band aid fix the old.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Well...if it's in the condition like you stated (tailgate), and the truck is more than a daily driver....fork out the cash and do it the right way. If you want to keep the overall appearance of a nice truck that is taken care of, replace the tailgate instead of trying to,save a few bucks. More often then not, you will end of spending more time and money trying to fix something old and damaged then just to replace it with a new part.

Believe me....with all of the trucks and cars that I have restored, I know.

Shop around as there are more and more vendors with options. Hell...you may even get lucky and find a truck bed with a tailgate for the same price. Texas is the second largest state in the nation, with probably the most trucks per capita.
smoothandlow84, I have to agree with everything you've said.. You pretty much echo what the body shops told me.. What scares me most is that large flat area.. As you know, flat areas are most susceptible to damage and even the tiniest of imperfections are visible.. And the edge of that area is where the pressure must be applied to straighten the 'gate... Since I have nothing to loose, I'll make one consorted effort at straightening it.. If I'm successful, well.... If the 'gate can't be saved, I've lost only some time..

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
The best paint protection would be a thick piece of leather.
So wrap a big tree truck with leather, throw your truck in reverse and pin it.
Just kidding... but not about the leather to protect your paint.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
The best paint protection would be a thick piece of leather.
So wrap a big tree truck with leather, throw your truck in reverse and pin it.
Just kidding... but not about the leather to protect your paint.
Looks like you gotta skin one of them cows @RustyPile

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I wouldn't call it a band aid fix. A straight gate is a straight gate... Not like it's going to bow itself back out again. I come from the land of rust. If it ain't rusted, you straighten it if you can. That's just how it is.

Although, I do agree that the bent gate would make a great bench.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg