Removing a Tailgate Bow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Also, I think we need more pitchers of this rig.
Well, I certainly can't argue with a moderator and the guy with the big dog.. I only have 3 pictures of the truck.. Here's the other 2..
You must be registered for see images attach

And yes, those are genuine Weld wheels.. Drag Star I believe is the "model name"...

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Nice and nice building too:D and it’s easy arguing with a moderator thing is they can end it with out warning lol

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Nice and nice building too:D and it’s easy arguing with a moderator thing is they can end it with out warning lol
Yeah, but, but, but..... he asked for more pictures...

The building is 30' X 50'.. Entry doors are oversized Overhead Door models w/power assist.. I love it.. My wife just gave me a new 12 cfm compressor to go in it..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yeah, but, but, but..... he asked for more pictures...

The building is 30' X 50'.. Entry doors are oversized Overhead Door models w/power assist.. I love it.. My wife just gave me a new 12 cfm compressor to go in it..
Nice my wife just gives me anger and frustration lol

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Nice my wife just gives me anger and frustration lol
I consider myself the luckiest guy in the world.. My wife and I recently celebrated our 51st wedding anniversary.. She still leaves love notes for me to find... She occasionally tapes proposition notes to my computer screen...

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I consider myself the luckiest guy in the world.. My wife and I recently celebrated our 51st wedding anniversary.. She still leaves love notes for me to find... She occasionally tapes proposition notes to my computer screen...
That’s cool the only head associated with my wife is headache and her giving me one.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Truck looks real good. I can't recall the name of those wheels, but they aren't dragstars. IIRC, the name had something to do with salt flats.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Truck looks real good. I can't recall the name of those wheels, but they aren't dragstars. IIRC, the name had something to do with salt flats.
They look like Halibrands not sure of the spelling lol

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Thinking back..... I believe the five "spokes" were shaped more like a star.. These are similar to Rodlite https://www.weldwheels.com/product/rodlite/

Today's Rodlites are drilled for dual bolt pattern..

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
They look like Halibrands not sure of the spelling lol
You spelled it right.. And yes they do resemble the magnesium Halibrands of old..
The tires are original to the 2005 restoration and show signs of dry rot.. I'll know the wheel model when I put on the tires..

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I think if a board longer than the gate is wide, AND the truck isn't driven too far above the bottom of the 'gate, it just might work.. I'd also place a thick pad, blanket, or other padding between the board and the gate... Without it, one little shift of the board and the paint is instantly trashed...
That's the part that would scare the **** out of me, but here's an idea, got a couple bottle jacks?, jack the truck up on the frame just behind the tires then position the gate under the tires where you want it then lower the the truck gently down on the gate, a second person would make it a lot easier..

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The beach towel provides the paint protection. You know, a clean one. Not a used one full of sand, lol.

I've used towels as paint protection before while smacking a panel with a dead blow hammer.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
I think there is less chance of paint and other physical damage if all movement during the straightening process is limited to up and down..

The 'gate is almost useless in it's present condition.. If I damage it trying to straighten it, I haven't lost much.. The $400 - $500 to replace it scares me...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Getting the gate straight is no big deal at all. Getting it done without paint damage or light body damage is the problem.

But it for sure can be straightened out and then body worked out rather than replacing it.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Buy a new tailgate $200...... You'll end up wasting time and effort and risk damaging it more. If you're lucky it may straighten a little, but more than likely won't be back to where the bow will dissapear. The metal retains it's memory once bent. Remove the bowed tailgate and make a bench seat out of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito