Removing a Tailgate Bow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
So is the goal here not to ruin the paint? I just don't see that being possible. And as was mentioned, the bow will need to be pushed past straight, because it will rebound some.

You all probably wouldn't believe me if I said how I'd get it straight again.
Try me!!!!

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Or you could take the tail gate off put it on 2 cinder blocks and have a FAT girl set on it again and wala straight again lol:Sumo:

I think that's how it got bent in the first place.. :(

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
So post some pics, I gotta see this happen..

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
So is the goal here not to ruin the paint? I just don't see that being possible. And as was mentioned, the bow will need to be pushed past straight, because it will rebound some.

You all probably wouldn't believe me if I said how I'd get it straight again.
That is the goal, although it may be an unrealistic one.. I would like to hear what you'd try..

The truck went through a fairly complete restoration/rebuild around 2005.. The person I bought it from bought it from a restoration/custom shop in 2005.. During the restoration, the side trim was shaved along with the tail gate.. the body was slicked down pretty good, and the truck was lowered 3 - 4 inches.. It was painted blue (very close to Petty Blue) with a white top.. Truck has held up very well and needs very little cosmetic work..

I didn't buy this truck as a project and I'd like to stick to that plan as close as possible.. It's an "off topic" truck.. At the risk of getting my hands slapped, I'll post a single picture of said tailgate..
You must be registered for see images attach

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Man, that's a nice clean tailgate, I'd be scared to try and straighten it...

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
My point exactly... There is almost no bow at the top, at least not enough to worry about.. All the bow is in the bottom.. The "peak" of the bow touches the top lip of the pan right above the left edge of the license plate..

The rest of the truck is just as clean and straight as the tailgate.. The engine is an extremely low mileage and very healthy 454.. Going by the mileage numbers on the title and odometer, the previous owner put less than 9000 miles on it since the restoration..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I’m with shortbread in n this one. Put a nice cover on it you will never see it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Yep, that lower flat area is just begging for kinks or waves. If no paint and bodywork is desired, I'd leave it alone.

But, if it absolutely needs to have the bow removed...

Lay it face up in the grass. It really needs to be grass, not dirt, gravel, blacktop, etc. Then lay a beach towel on the lower half of the gate. Then a 2x12 across the lower half. Here's the scary part... drive the truck onto the board. With any luck, it will take care of it the first try. Repositioning in a different area of the yard may be required to get it to bend enough.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
The problem with leaving it alone is this: I can't open the tailgate without scratching it.. When the tailgate reaches about 1/2 open, the peak of the bow touches the pan.. Standard body shop practices for this situation is a complete tailgate replacement.. Original replacement 'gates have raised letters in the flat area below the latch handle.. Plain replacements are available, but are reproduction items and the fit might be (to quote Honkey Kong) "floofy"..

The "slick" 'gates are very reasonably priced. $156.. Painting will probably cost double that...

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
That is the goal, although it may be an unrealistic one.. I would like to hear what you'd try..

The truck went through a fairly complete restoration/rebuild around 2005.. The person I bought it from bought it from a restoration/custom shop in 2005.. During the restoration, the side trim was shaved along with the tail gate.. the body was slicked down pretty good, and the truck was lowered 3 - 4 inches.. It was painted blue (very close to Petty Blue) with a white top.. Truck has held up very well and needs very little cosmetic work..

I didn't buy this truck as a project and I'd like to stick to that plan as close as possible.. It's an "off topic" truck.. At the risk of getting my hands slapped, I'll post a single picture of said tailgate..
You must be registered for see images attach
Atleast there is a large flat area to clamp a doubled up 2x12 to I’d try the wooden samich thing first but that’s me.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Yep, that lower flat area is just begging for kinks or waves. If no paint and bodywork is desired, I'd leave it alone.

But, if it absolutely needs to have the bow removed...

Lay it face up in the grass. It really needs to be grass, not dirt, gravel, blacktop, etc. Then lay a beach towel on the lower half of the gate. Then a 2x12 across the lower half. Here's the scary part... drive the truck onto the board. With any luck, it will take care of it the first try. Repositioning in a different area of the yard may be required to get it to bend enough.
That very same idea has crossed my mind.. I think if a board longer than the gate is wide, AND the truck isn't driven too far above the bottom of the 'gate, it just might work.. I'd also place a thick pad, blanket, or other padding between the board and the gate... Without it, one little shift of the board and the paint is instantly trashed...

The bow is slightly less than 1 inch at it's peak..I just need to remove enough of the bow that it doesn't touch the pan when it's opened..

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If you put too much of a pad between the board and the gate, it's less likely to actually bend back into shape. But yes, keep the tire low on the gate, but not so low that it tries to flip the gate up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave