Removing a Tailgate Bow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
No, I'm not talking about ribbons and bows.. Some previous owner used the tailgate on my truck for something besides it's intended purpose.. I suppose something very heavy was placed on it and caused the 'gate to bow outward.. It's not dented or scratched up, just a 1 inch outward bow to it. The top lip is straight. The bow is in the bottom "roll". Ordinarily, I wouldn't worry too much about it but my truck doesn't have a rear bumper.. The 'gate has been shaved and a nice tight fitting rolled pan has replaced the bumper.. When the 'gate is opened, it rubs the top lip of the pan..

Do any of you proficient body guys on here have some thoughts as to what I might do to straighten this tailgate.. Pounding on it is out of the question, as the 'gate is slick and shiny otherwise. I'm thinking a hydraulic press might do the job.. I have one but the "bed" is too narrow, the 'gate won't fit between the uprights. I'd really like to save this tailgate.. Except for the slight bow, the fit and finish is otherwise perfect..

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I've always wondered if that could be done without messing things up.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
2x12s and C clamps

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
2x12s and C clamps

was going to say, 4x4s and clamps

Either way should work a 2x12 will spread out the force a bit mor[e] and maybe not dent his pretty tailgate

By Jove, I think you've got it!!! [said in my best British accent]..

I've got a collection of C-clamps that borders on illegal.. And being a rental property owner, I also have a nice scrap lumber collection.. Hammering and pounding won't work, too much collateral damage.. But clamps and boards placed in just the right places and applying the force slowly just might coax the bow to hit the road.. Yeah, that might just do the trick..

I've been studying and pondering this problem since the day I bought this truck 3 weeks ago.. And you guys come up with a solution in less than an hour.. C-clamps....... I'd have never thought of it... Thanks guys!!!

I'll post my progress....

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
By Jove, I think you've got it!!! [said in my best British accent]..

I've got a collection of C-clamps that borders on illegal.. And being a rental property owner, I also have a nice scrap lumber collection.. Hammering and pounding won't work, too much collateral damage.. But clamps and boards placed in just the right places and applying the force slowly just might coax the bow to hit the road.. Yeah, that might just do the trick..

I've been studying and pondering this problem since the day I bought this truck 3 weeks ago.. And you guys come up with a solution in less than an hour.. C-clamps....... I'd have never thought of it... Thanks guys!!!

I'll post my progress....
Just be gentle lol and talk nice to it. Sit a Zonkey on it in the opposite direction if the clamps don’t work.:D

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I wonder though, if you're going to need to bend it just slightly bowed in the opposite direction, to account for the steels tendency to want to spring back?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I wonder though, if you're going to need to bend it just slightly bowed in the opposite direction, to account for the steels tendency to want to spring back?
For sure and the procedure will take days it ain’t a quick fix.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
I don't know about the Zonkey... I haven't seen Mr. Stripes and his harem for about 2 weeks.. This time of year they hole up somewhere away from all the deer hunters..

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC

For sure and the procedure will take days it ain’t a quick fix.

Probably so on both counts. A lot of work has gone into this tailgate, it's well worth saving..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Probably so on both counts. A lot of work has gone into this tailgate, it's well worth saving..
If it can sit in the hot sun under tension that will help too

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
Or you could take the tail gate off put it on 2 cinder blocks and have a FAT girl set on it again and wala straight again lol:Sumo:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Or you could take the tail gate off put it on 2 cinder blocks and have a FAT girl set on it again and wala straight again lol:Sumo:
Lol the snail trail might eat the paint.......:puke:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So is the goal here not to ruin the paint? I just don't see that being possible. And as was mentioned, the bow will need to be pushed past straight, because it will rebound some.

You all probably wouldn't believe me if I said how I'd get it straight again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84