Removal of the radiator support

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TommyD11730

Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Guys
Does anyone have a good write up on the removal of the radiator support? Pulling the one off my 84 GMC and would like to keep the fenders on the truck (if possible).

Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Guys
Does anyone have a good write up on the removal of the radiator support? Pulling the one off my 84 GMC and would like to keep the fenders on the truck (if possible).

Thanks!

Your gonna have to loosen them and remove the rear bollts for the inner fenders, to get enough movement to be able to weasel it out. At the least it’s gonna be a pita.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Guys

Thanks!

What’s your paint code? There is a member looking for the code for that color. @ItsMichaelH

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
did mine last week. maybe the later body trucks have more room. I didn't have to loosen any bolts on the cab side of the fenders. its easy enough. I didn't look anything up about it and it was my first rodeo. two of the carriage bolts that hold the outer bumper to the brackets gave me trouble, but other than that it was a breeze.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Guys

Thanks!

I do really like that color combo.

TommyD11730

Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
did mine last week. maybe the later body trucks have more room. I didn't have to loosen any bolts on the cab side of the fenders. its easy enough. I didn't look anything up about it and it was my first rodeo. two of the carriage bolts that hold the outer bumper to the brackets gave me trouble, but other than that it was a breeze.
I hope your right!
Had my bumper off last year, so that should be a non issue. Figure both battery trays, the overflow tank... oh and I have a cooler of sorts up there, embarrassed to say not sure if it's oil or ATF. Would be nice if I could pass it through the support vs having to remove it.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Guys

Thanks!

Oh yeah nice bumper thingys.:waytogo:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Guys

Thanks!

From the 1984 Service Manual:

TommyD11730

Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Interesting. ... they don't mention pulling the front bumper. I can't see how that support can come out with the bumper still attached.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Interesting. ... they don't mention pulling the front bumper. I can't see how that support can come out with the bumper still attached.

There's nothing connecting the radiator support to the bumper - and there is plenty of room between them to work. I was able to strip this entire front clip without removing the bumper (or the 9' Speedcaster plow frame):

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeBeepBeep