redoing stock steel wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
When I started professional working on cars back in 99, I worked with a buddy and our saying was, "I'll give $5 and 5 fish sticks." A few years later I extended the Hardy hand shake to the saying. No one wants fish sticks unless you're a 5 year old.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
When I started professional working on cars back in 99, I worked with a buddy and our saying was, "I'll give $5 and 5 fish sticks." A few years later I extended the Hardy hand shake to the saying. No one wants fish sticks unless you're a 5 year old.
Ok lol

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I like fish sticks...:oops:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Those red wheel are dope, I think you're nuts. At least they aren't black!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Mine are stock rims - the original ones that came with the truck. They were in poor condition when I bought it. Pulled the tires and took them to the local gravestone dealer for blasting (apparently they cut the letters into the headstones with some kind of special grit).

On days when business is slow - you know, when not many people go to meet their maker - the two blasting guys just hang around the shop. So they're happy to do side jobs. Better to get even a little money than nothing - I think they asked $5 per rim.

That was for both the inboard and outboard faces - and in the wells as needed. The "well" of a rim is that surface under the tire that runs from flange to flange. I had to look that up.

After they were taken down to white metal, I brought them home and quickly applied a light coat of Rustoleum's Rust Reformer to all surfaces. That was just to prevent any rust bloom - in case I didn't get right to them.

The finish coating is another Rustoleum product called Appliance Epoxy Enamel. The stuff is awesome. It goes on and lays down beautifully. Applying it does however require your full attention - if you want to get a good finished product. In light of that, just one rim was done at a time. Two coats - one light and one medium - filled any profile created by the blasting grit.

You must be registered for see images attach

When the epoxy is fully dry, it is as smooth and hard as a porcelain sink. Air dried for two days. And then, each night for four nights (after my wife went to bed), they went into the oven. Baked them low (200F) for 2 hours to prevent any remaining VOC's from bubbling out.

When it was safe to bring the temp up, I took a chance and went to 300F. They stayed in the oven until morning - before my wife woke up and found a giant rim in the oven. I don't tell her anything. I figure it's easier to apologize than to ask permission.

I got them all baked out in 4 nights. Reinstalled the OEM brass valve stems and then had the rubber remounted and balanced. That was over five years ago and I took this picture recently - they still look like right out of the factory:

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Mine are stock rims - the original ones that came with the truck. They were in poor condition when I bought it. Pulled the tires and took them to the local gravestone dealer for blasting (apparently they cut the letters into the headstones with some kind of special grit).

On days when business is slow - you know, when not many people go to meet their maker - the two blasting guys just hang around the shop. So they're happy to do side jobs. Better to get even a little money than nothing - I think they asked $5 per rim.

That was for both the inboard and outboard faces - and in the wells as needed. The "well" of a rim is that surface under the tire that runs from flange to flange. I had to look that up.

After they were taken down to white metal, I brought them home and quickly applied a light coat of Rustoleum's Rust Reformer to all surfaces. That was just to prevent any rust bloom - in case I didn't get right to them.

The finish coating is another Rustoleum product called Appliance Epoxy Enamel. The stuff is awesome. It goes on and lays down beautifully. It does take your full attention if you want to get a good finished product. In light of that, just one rim was done at a time. Two coats - one light and one medium - filled any profile created by the blasting grit.

When the epoxy is fully dry, it is as smooth and hard as a porcelain sink. Air dried for two days. And then, each night for four nights (after my wife went to bed), they went into the oven. Baked them low (200F) for 2 hours to prevent any remaining VOC's from bubbling out.

When it was safe to bring the temp up, I took a chance and went to 300F. They stayed in the oven until morning - before my wife woke up and found a giant rim in the oven. I don't tell her anything. I figure it's easier to apologize than to ask permission.

I got them all baked out in 4 nights. Reinstalled the OEM brass valve stems and then had the rubber remounted and balanced. That was over five years ago and I took this picture recently - they still look like right out of the factory:

I'm gonna have to try and remember all this. This is good stuff.

Did your oven have any kind of lingering paint smell afterwards?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thanks! I owe ya some fish sticks.

I like fish sticks. I just can't eat them, because you never know what's in them and sometimes my throat will close up. It's a bummer.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I'm gonna have to try and remember all this. This is good stuff.

Did your oven have any kind of lingering paint smell afterwards?

Uh uh - not even a whiff of paint. I think because I let them dry pretty good before baking them. I probably wouldn't be here today to tell the story had I stunk up the oven/kitchen.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Ok, my deal fell through, only because, and I didnt realize this till I took off the wheels, the 22s are 5 x 4.5 and there are adapters.

So Im going to buy some rallys and then sell these POS's. The tires alone are worth $500, so someone will buy them just for the tires.

Anyways, this guy only has 3/4 beauty rings. And it looks like they are coming with 3" rings. Looking around, it looks like they come in 2 or 3 inch, is this correct (about sizes and 3" for 8 inch wheels.)

Finally, discount tire shows that the stock tire size is 235/75r15... as anyone ran something different?

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
I have 255/60R15's.

I saw on tiresize.com that a size up was 255/70r15 and is .2" taller and .7" wider, just wasnt sure if the 255 was too wide. Seems like thats about as wide as you want to go on that wheel though.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I'd run a 275 on a factory 8" wheel, no cares given.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Meh... makes no difference anyways. 235/75r15 are the cheapest anyways.

Ill post before and after pics when I get them.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8

Latest posts

Forum statistics