redoing stock steel wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
I have someone that is interested in trading these 22's for a set of stock steels complete with centers and rings. Bad thing is that they are painted red. So Im looking at them to get rid of the 22s that no one really wants and I figured if they were painted silver/gray like they were from the factory, someone some time would actually buy them when I have the budget to get the 20's I want.

So... would you have them painted or powder coated and what would you estimate the cost being for either. Id like the done "correctly" so I do not want to use a rattle can.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I think I paid about $65 a wheel for blasting and powdercoat. The stainless rings were from ebay, about $50 for the set of 4.

You must be registered for see images attach

Not sure what a good condition set of center caps run these days, I know they're getting harder to find.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I have someone that is interested in trading these 22's for a set of stock steels complete with centers and rings. Bad thing is that they are painted red. So Im looking at them to get rid of the 22s that no one really wants and I figured if they were painted silver/gray like they were from the factory, someone some time would actually buy them when I have the budget to get the 20's I want.

So... would you have them painted or powder coated and what would you estimate the cost being for either. Id like the done "correctly" so I do not want to use a rattle can.
If your gonna just dump them use a scotch brite pad on them and rattle can them you can get the proper color and if prepped right will look good and be done at a fraction of the cost of stripping and having sprayed. Just my .02 take it for what is worth.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
If your gonna just dump them use a scotch brite pad on them and rattle can them you can get the proper color and if prepped right will look good and be done at a fraction of the cost of stripping and having sprayed. Just my .02 take it for what is worth.

Yeah, if you're gonna flip them, that's the way to go. Sanding any rust spots might be a bit of a bitch, but the end result will look good. The new owner can decide how fancy they want to get after that. Argent Silver is the color you want, iirc.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Agreed. They sell rally wheel paint (AKA Argent Silver) in rattle cans and when prepped properly, it looks good and holds up too.

I once bought a set of powdercoated rallies from Wheel Vintiques, those things chipped and rusted.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Thanks all. Sounds good. And the wife is a pro with a rattle can. I'm just sick of these stupid ass ghetto ******* 22s and this is the first serious offer.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have to agree with you on this. Don't kick a gift horse in the teeth and take the deal. Orrrrrrrrr, if that dude is really serious, tell him the red just isn't going to fly on your truck. If he can do a good job prepping them and painting them Argent Silver, you'll do the deal and see how he responds to that.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Ok. These are the pics he sent. Im all for some nice ralleys, but the chrome just looks too good for the center caps. Do they look like they are aftermarket? Am I putting too much into it? I dont trust people on CL. He has 235's on the wheels, not that Im a fan of those tires, but they would work for now. Im guessing they are 8 inch wheels... correct?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ok. These are the pics he sent. Im all for some nice ralleys, but the chrome just looks too good for the center caps. Do they look like they are aftermarket? Am I putting too much into it? I dont trust people on CL. He has 235's on the wheels, not that Im a fan of those tires, but they would work for now. Im guessing they are 8 inch wheels... correct?

Those ain’t cheap tires..... that’s what I put on my wife’s edge and the kids edge. Also what’s on our work trucks. Rattle can them silver and rock them till you find your clown wheels I mean 20s :D

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
These in a 20...

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Or these...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Those look to me like OEM caps, the somewhat faded center emblems are the sign. They also look like 8 inches wide.

B.K. Cunningham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
25 Hundred
Engine Size
Those ain’t cheap tires..... that’s what I put on my wife’s edge and the kids edge. Also what’s on our work trucks. Rattle can them silver and rock them till you find your clown wheels I mean 20s :D
Those tires are what i have on my 74.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Those look to me like OEM caps, the somewhat faded center emblems are the sign. They also look like 8 inches wide.
Thanks! I owe ya some fish sticks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL