Rebuilt alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
My bearings on the alternator are going so it's getting rebuilt tomorrow. The PO said it's new and he ordered it online 200 amp it's under warranty but I'll just have my guy do it have back by the time I'm done work. My question is could the belts being too tight have wore the bearings out? If so should I go with a different belt size or?

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Damn can a guy get his post count up to use the classifieds?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Damn can a guy get his post count up to use the classifieds?
You're only 6 away. Believe it or not there's a reason why it's that way, and NO, it's not a bribery method to get you to participate. You're almost there.

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My bearings on the alternator are going so it's getting rebuilt tomorrow. The PO said it's new and he ordered it online 200 amp it's under warranty but I'll just have my guy do it have back by the time I'm done work. My question is could the belts being too tight have wore the bearings out? If so should I go with a different belt size or?
I'd think a good quality bearing should have held up no matter how tight the belt is. If the belt was so tight it was putting that kind of strain on the bearing, it would seem the reason the belt would have stretched some before the bearing wore out.

Is having your guy put a bearing in the alternator going to void your warranty? Is it a liftime warranty? Is there any marks to where they can tell it's been cracked open? 200amp alternator isn't a cheap one.

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
It has a warranty but it'll take at least a few days to get it back and it's my DD so I need it back asap. The reason I said the belt was too tight that's what my buddy suspected because it is awful tight.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
It has a warranty but it'll take at least a few days to get it back and it's my DD so I need it back asap. The reason I said the belt was too tight that's what my buddy suspected because it is awful tight.

The belt should not be completely rigid. There should be a little bit of ‘twang’ to it but very little. I think I’ve got a worn alternator mini-serp because it’ll chirp sometimes, and it’s really wiggly even when I crank it down as hard as I can. Plus the fan’s warped on mine so the pulley doesn’t spin completely true.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes