Rebuilt 700R won't run now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mountainlife49

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Just had a rebuilt trans put in my 1987 GMC 4x4. Truck runs in 1st and 2nd gears. Put it in drive it kills the motor. Any help appreciated

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Ignition switch issue?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Will it crank in drive? Or does it seem like it is bogging the motor down when you put it in drive? You might be getting TCC lockup commanded at idle

Mountainlife49

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
It starts and runs in first two gears. If I put it in drive whi,e it's running it kills the motor

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
It starts and runs in first two gears. If I put it in drive whi,e it's running it kills the motor
Sounds like your torque converter is locking up in D. Did you have a shop do the rebuild and install? Did it do this from the beginning?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I bet your going to find a problem with the converter clutch solenoid, valve, or wiring.

Before investing too much time in this, talk to whoever built the trans. Obviously double check your work, but some builders get a little pissy if people screw around with their work. Best to cover your ass, se how the builder want you to proceed. Hopefully he is willing to make it right.

The very first trans I built was a 2004r. I put the converter clutch valve and spring in backwards. It would run just fine, and immediately kill the engine when you put it in any gear.

I have had converter clutch apply valves stick in the pump after overhaul. It usually happens when people don’t clean out the trans cooler.

Since it only happens if the shifter is in drive or overdrive, I’m betting you have an electrical issue. Pretty sure the converter clutch is hydraulically incapable of applying in manual 1 or 2, that suggests for whatever reason the clutch is being commanded to apply all the time.

Try unplugging the electrical connector. If that solves the problem, check the wiring for a pinched wire. Maybe you pinched a wire between the block and transmission?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I bet your going to find a problem with the converter clutch solenoid, valve, or wiring.

Before investing too much time in this, talk to whoever built the trans. Obviously double check your work, but some builders get a little pissy if people screw around with their work. Best to cover your ass, se how the builder want you to proceed. Hopefully he is willing to make it right.

The very first trans I built was a 2004r. I put the converter clutch valve and spring in backwards. It would run just fine, and immediately kill the engine when you put it in any gear.

I have had converter clutch apply valves stick in the pump after overhaul. It usually happens when people don’t clean out the trans cooler.

Since it only happens if the shifter is in drive or overdrive, I’m betting you have an electrical issue. Pretty sure the converter clutch is hydraulically incapable of applying in manual 1 or 2, that suggests for whatever reason the clutch is being commanded to apply all the time.

Try unplugging the electrical connector. If that solves the problem, check the wiring for a pinched wire. Maybe you pinched a wire between the block and transmission?
I'll second this course of action, as it is pretty much what I was going to say.

Mountainlife49

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Thank you guys very much. Found a cut wire going to that plug, problem fixed!

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
A cut wire. That's interesting. I would have guessed a connector pin was getting 12 volts when it wasn't supposed to.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay