Rebuilding an 84 steering column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello, is it possible to change a manual drive steering column from an 83 to a manual steering column 84? Can the wiper/turn signal switch be switched out and put into the 83 column? Or, if not, can you take the automatic shifter section out of an automatic shift column. Just replace it with a blank sleeve? I have access to either one. I searched the forums but didn't come up with specific answers to my inquiry. Thanks all.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Do both have the wipers on the column ?
If not, I think you can, but them the truck wiring becomes the issue.
The auto to manual is more puzzling as I am not sure the master jackets are the same.

The auto floor shifts of old and the column shifts for autos both had the bowl rotate - and that is where I am not sure about changing it to a fixed bowl.

Last edited:

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The 83 has the wiper switch in the dash just above the headlight switch. They moved it to the steering column in 84.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
84 up had the MFS (Multi Function Switch) including bright lights, wipers, wipers delay and more than the 1 button Cruise Control. I think I'd prefer to go with an 84 up column than try to Mod an 83 on down column that does NOT have the MFS and bright light swtich in the column.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That is a thought but but manual steering columns are kinda hard to come by in these parts. I was just wondering if the multi function switch section of the column could be moved over to the 83 column. Thanks for any and all thoughts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969