Rebuild or Replace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coachdtierney54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Ok guys I need a lot of help (again). I have been told the transmission on my 85 C30 is shot and needs to be rebuilt or replaced. I'm looking for you your thoughts on this topic and what I should be expecting as far as cost. AutoZone has a new transmission for $1000. I'm thinking a rebuild is better for my financial situation. Rockauto.com has rebuild kits for under $200. Any thoughts?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ok guys I need a lot of help (again). I have been told the transmission on my 85 C30 is shot and needs to be rebuilt or replaced. I'm looking for you your thoughts on this topic and what I should be expecting as far as cost. AutoZone has a new transmission for $1000. I'm thinking a rebuild is better for my financial situation. Rockauto.com has rebuild kits for under $200. Any thoughts?

Where in the US are you? I personally would let AZ keep their tranny. The f it has a lifetime warranty........ there is a reason for it. If you get it you will more then likely be pulling it before the first year.

coachdtierney54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Just west of Chattanooga

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Just west of Chattanooga

Ok. I know of a couple good shops up here. I saw leafy green stuff in your avatar and figured eastern US. There are a few tranny gurus on here @74 Shortbed is where ide start for input.

coachdtierney54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Thanks!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If AZ is getting their transmissions from Jasper, they'll be good ones, but $1000 is robbery so don't do it. I just bought a rebuild for one of my 400's and it was $91.25 delivered to my front door. I got the banner kit without steels, usually you don't need them unless a few burnt, if you need some good used ones I have plenty, cover the shipping they'll be yours. I already the common bushings if I need them so that might add another $10-15 for a bushing kit if you need it. I did get both new bands and a filter too. This was a waffled clutches kit. The waffles allow a little more fluid between clutches and a hair better cooling. Here's what I got for $91.25.

I don't consider myself a tight *** because I usually buy quality and won't skimp to buy **** to save a buck, but I don't pay to much for any damn thing. I usually find the deals and get the quality. This is a kevlar lined band, a brass filter, Transtar kit with Trans Tec parts and Raysbestos clutches. This place always has good kits with the big name brands, just never know which name brand your going to get.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here's a build thread I did on one of mine. There's also a guy who posted Th400 build video on there somewhere too if need some confidence builder to do it yourself. Patience is the biggest tip I can give you. Don't forget anything, and don't get rough with the seals, and do your air pressure tests to make sure each clutch pack is working and you haven't tore a seal during installation.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/turbo-400-build-mega-carnage-to-better-than-new.295/

coachdtierney54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I just got the truck back from a rebuild. Now I have another question. In an earlier topic I posted about the truck backfiring when going down the mountain I live on. Since the rebuild, the backfiring is gone. Any thoughts?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I just got the truck back from a rebuild. Now I have another question. In an earlier topic I posted about the truck backfiring when going down the mountain I live on. Since the rebuild, the backfiring is gone. Any thoughts?

Tighter tolerances in the valve train. No valve float essentially.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Possibly no leaks in the exhaust system now since they had it all apart and back together. A slight leak in the exhaust sometimes will cause a backfire on a coast cause it sucks fresh air and mixes with unburned fuel and bang!! And we all know that there is a lot of unburned fuel in a square!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406