Rebuild 454 or Swap in Cummins, Powerstroke, or SBC.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyRealHeavy

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
First time on the forum, my 454 TBI recently broke a valve while I was on the highway, the crank is seized and there's a shattered piston and pushrods. I pulled the heads off and it looked like the engine didn't really run that well to begin with. One of my lifters were cratered out and the cylinder that it opened its valve for was all black and gunky another on the driver side had damage to the top and didn't burn well either. I'm wondering if I should rebuild my 454 or do a swap. The truck only has 90K on it and I was really bummed out that a Tonawanda engine let me down. I'm also wanting to have a carb if I decide to stick with gas. If anyone can give me a ballpark estimate on all the options I'd really appreciate it.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
All depends what you do with your truck. If horsepower isn't a huge concern but torque is put a Cummins in it. 12valve would be more user friendly. Powerstroke no way all that Ford fukkary going on. An old IDI and do a turbo upgrade would work too. Or as @shiftpro mentioned stroke your 454 if it's useable sounds like you will need a crank anyway, you will need to upgrade the heads as well them peanut ports will choke 496 inches. There is also the newer 8.1L you could swap in. And welcome to the site.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome to the site..

I vote 496 and swap the peanut port heads(if you have them)for 781's and do a clean up on them.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Used crank, pistons, new bearings,rings if bore is ok. Cheap

Last edited:

ChevyRealHeavy

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
My uncle is pushing me towards buying a rebuilt crate engine with a decent warranty. Does anyone know a company that'll stand behind their rebuilds? The only thing I'm worried about with those is having to pull the engine again in the future. I'm also ify on doing a rebuild, I know I can do it right but I would want it to be bullet proof and on a budget.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'd keep your 454 or make it a 496. Reiterating what's already been said, the Cummins is a good one, and I don't think the 7.3 Powerstroke is worth it for all the work. Still, the Cummins would require some attention to make it fit and work right, and while I'm of the opinion that they are worth it, you have a potentially good 454. If you don't feel comfortable about the rebuild, find a good machinist to rebuild the short block for you who'll stand behind his/her work and do the rest yourself.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Expect to go through front parts, brakes and tires more frequently from the extra weight of the Cummins.

ChevyRealHeavy

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
Would stroking the 454 be around the same price as just rebuilding it? Would it be just as reliable as a 350 stroked to a 383?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL