Rear shock mount problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Spooky! I had to run out in the rain with a flashlight and look at mine! Sigh of relief. At least until I remove the shocks and reveal something hidden. $hiite.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I’m not positive but I would imagine thats the way all suburbans are setup with the drivers side on a mount on top of the frame like that. Maybe not 3/4 burbs?

1/2 and 3/4 T are the same. Luckily, the failure prone bracket is only used on the driver's side while the passenger side mount goes through the frame. The difference is because the d/s shock leans towards the back and the p/s leans forward. The frame height at the two mounting locations is different (it drops down after the axle) so instead of having to use two different length shocks they just mounted the d/s shock on top of the frame to even them out.

radio2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
83 and 88
Truck Model
83 C10 and 88 R10 Burb
Engine Size
****** update.
As honky said, was just going to plate it, drill a hole and mount the shock back, but when under there with the plate, nothing there is flat enough to weld the plate too.
Back to the drawing board. Gonna try to get by a local welding shop tomorrow or Wednesday.
You must be registered for see images attach

Oh, thought about removing the bracket altogether and fabbing up a new or just having the extra room to fix this one... It's riveted on, no good way to get to all of the rivets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I have more of the square washers I used if you want to go that route. If it's too ghetto of a fix for you I'm not offended. Just PM your addy if you want one and I'll send it out.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Good luck with the local shop! hopefully they will be able to come up with a strong solution.

I had a thought about using a cutting torch, cutting a square chunk out of the center around the broken area then cutting a plate with a hole with the same dimension cut out and weld it into the bracket. But I don't think it would be strong enough to last a long while.

radio2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
83 and 88
Truck Model
83 C10 and 88 R10 Burb
Engine Size
I have more of the square washers I used if you want to go that route. If it's too ghetto of a fix for you I'm not offended. Just PM your addy if you want one and I'll send it out.
*PM Sent*
I don't think it's ghetto. It's the only way I know to get it right short of doing the tank and drilling out the rivets to get the old bracket off and making a new one. What's the dimensions on those?

New shocks came in today, ready to get this big blue bitch back on the road.
Thanks everyone.

radio2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
83 and 88
Truck Model
83 C10 and 88 R10 Burb
Engine Size
The holiday delayed the delivery, but got it all buttoned up today at lunch. Thanks Skysurfer! Went with belltech shocks and now The big blue bitch rides so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK