Rear flip issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
You really want to have SOME droop travel - without it, it will ride and handle awful.[/QUOTE]

Important point.

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
Thought about this too... but eveything i read says to put the offset hole towards the front of truck

You're right - my bad. The axle has to move back, because the leafs are angled. You done good.

I'm thinking the wrong shocks. Did you peel off a sticker and find a Monroe name a part number?

Cotas86

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You're right - my bad. The axle has to move back, because the leafs are angled. You done good.

I'm thinking the wrong shocks. Did you peel off a sticker and find a Monroe name a part number?
No didnt get a chance yet... gonna call crown suspension (where i purchased kit from) and see what they have to say....but probably just going to go with longer shocks

Cotas86

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You really want to have SOME droop travel - without it, it will ride and handle awful.

Important point.[/QUOTE]
What exactly is droop travel?

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
Droop is when you jack the truck up, and the suspension hangs down. The amount it hangs down (droops) is called "droop."

You ideally want enough droop that no matter how hard you drive, all four wheels are still on the ground. Sometimes that's hard to achieve.

When I design a suspension for handling, I like to shoot for about 66% travel in bump, and 33% travel in droop. Not hard and fast rules, as usually there are component and packaging limitations. Even if your bump and droop were 50/50, that would be just fine.

If you had NO droop travel, every bump would you have you airborn.

Jerry phillion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Droop is when you jack the truck up, and the suspension hangs down. The amount it hangs down (droops) is called "droop."

You ideally want enough droop that no matter how hard you drive, all four wheels are still on the ground. Sometimes that's hard to achieve.

When I design a suspension for handling, I like to shoot for about 66% travel in bump, and 33% travel in droop. Not hard and fast rules, as usually there are component and packaging limitations. Even if your bump and droop were 50/50, that would be just fine.

If you had NO droop travel, every bump would you have you airborn.

Jerry phillion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
What happens when you remove both shocks? Does truck
Sit same on both sides? Does suspension work as it should ? If it does, then it's a shock problem. If not, Recheck your installation again. Also, check your wheelbase dimensions. One side may be longer than other side. Just my .02.

malibuman402

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
BB 402+.060 = 413.8CI
correct me if im wrong, but it looks like the overload spring is still in the spring stack on the right side. 5 leafs instead of 4.

Cotas86

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
correct me if im wrong, but it looks like the overload spring is still in the spring stack on the right side. 5 leafs instead of 4.
No you are correct, i took the pictures after the first time i put everything together when i was looking to make sure i installed everything correctly i went ahead and pretty much dissasembled what i did to be 100% everything was correct i figured id remove overload leaf while it was taken apart for second time

Cotas86

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
What happens when you remove both shocks? Does truck
Sit same on both sides? Does suspension work as it should ? If it does, then it's a shock problem. If not, Recheck your installation again. Also, check your wheelbase dimensions. One side may be longer than other side. Just my .02.
Truck was sitting level when it was on ground. Driver side works as it should while passanger side (where problem is) is stiff no give at all in shock. Triple checked installation also measured from end of frame to center of axle and was within 16th of an inch of one another.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Why not move shock mounts to make them mpre verticle and they woudnt need to be longer

74brik

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
Had this same issue with crown suspension. The shocks are Monroe with their stickers on them. Their customer service is a joke too. Your best bet is to just get your shocks elsewhere which defeats the purpose of spending less money on their kit

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
X2 yep...Crown doesn't make shocks...and neither does Mcgaughy...obviously and Crown doesn't sell the correct length with their kits either. Don't bother buying the overpriced "drop shocks" either. Stock shocks work fine (gas charged) and move the mounts and install and extension piece on the rear shocks.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
was sitting level when it was on ground. Driver side works as it should while passanger side (where problem is) is stiff no give at all in shock. Triple checked installation also measured from end of frame to center of axle and was within 16th of an inch of one another.
Remove BOTH shocks then check truck height and suspension travel with shocks OFF.

Im thinking its the shocks binding due to improper length of one or both

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI