Rear disc brakes on the cheap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
I will be doing this in the next month or two.

So let me get some verification from the more versed members here for my plan:

2000 chevy astro AWD front rotors

stock Squarebody front calipers

and im making my own brake caliper brackets (access to CAD and a laser can be nice).

Im not entirely worried about the e-brake (until i have no brakes and actually need it ... ouch) and im going for simplicity and clean over all so i should be good. (eventually ill be doing all new brake lines and braided stainless hoses, but for now i just want it to go ... and stop)

bmfp407

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
r20
Engine Size
:happy160:i like it thanks for the tip

87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size

and im making my own brake caliper brackets (access to CAD and a laser can be nice).

Im not entirely worried about the e-brake (until i have no brakes and actually need it ... ouch) and im going for simplicity and clean over all so i should be good. (eventually ill be doing all new brake lines and braided stainless hoses, but for now i just want it to go ... and stop)

Looking forward to seeing your posts. I was going to do a full axle rebuild thread on another forum including the disc conversion. I'm scouring the boneyards near me for the mounting plates and was going to do up a drawing so others could make their own. What are the odds that you would be willing to share the specs? I have access to laser & water jet also

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
Looking forward to seeing your posts. I was going to do a full axle rebuild thread on another forum including the disc conversion. I'm scouring the boneyards near me for the mounting plates and was going to do up a drawing so others could make their own. What are the odds that you would be willing to share the specs? I have access to laser & water jet also

Not real sure how i feel about it ...

The only problem i might have with sharing specs on the brackets is that a lot of people put effort into designing their own brackets, marketing them, and paying their bills by doing that.

I will think about it ... but i dont like cutting into someone else's paycheck.

If someone wants to put in the effort to draw up their own bracket and source someone to cut them and finish them ... they earned it ... just like the bracket manufacturers.

Asking for advice or help is one thing ... but ill have to seriously consider handing over all the specs and drawings that might cut out some hard working manufacturers.

Thought on this? Am i over thinking things or do i have a valid concern?

Although its similar to this thread .... disc brakes on the cheap cut out a lot of manufacturers...

Ponders...

belowaveragecustoms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 short bed 2wd
Engine Size

Only other things you will need will be brake pads , you will have to modify your brake lines to be able to connect to the calipers, I would just go with a flex line from the end of the hard line to the caliper. Then you might want to change out the brake proportioning valve out with one for 4 wheel disk brakes. Speedway motors, jegs, and summit all offer one that won't break the bank.

87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Then you might want to change out the brake proportioning valve out with one for 4 wheel disk brakes. Speedway motors, jegs, and summit all offer one that won't break the bank.

I think I saw them for like $90 at Summit or Jegs

87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size

The only problem i might have with sharing specs on the brackets is that a lot of people put effort into designing their own brackets, marketing them, and paying their bills by doing that.

If someone wants to put in the effort to draw up their own bracket and source someone to cut them and finish them ... they earned it ... just like the bracket manufacturers.

Asking for advice or help is one thing ... but ill have to seriously consider handing over all the specs and drawings that might cut out some hard working manufacturers.

Although its similar to this thread .... disc brakes on the cheap cut out a lot of manufacturers...

Ponders...

No worries, I appreciate that. I think I have located some of the scrap yard anyhow. I Don't feel quite the same way.... I think these guys are making the money on selling the brake components and not so much a $10 bracket . I believe in information sharing and as long as nobody profits from it, its all good. I don't think making a how-to thread with a little sketch is going to hurt anybody's business in the long run. But again, I respect your stance on this. You certainly aren't doing anybody wrong that way

John81287

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size

Ponders...

You may be over thinking this, however I don't know that you should just give it away either. I agree that if you design your own and can get them cut that's great. You could also offer the option if selling them to members of the forum, if you have the means to make them regularly. Just some thoughts, do whatever you feel is right by your morals.

Sent from somewhere in Northern Illinois!

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
87R10 said:
No worries, I appreciate that. I think I have located some of the scrap yard anyhow. I Don't feel quite the same way.... I think these guys are making the money on selling the brake components and not so much a $10 bracket . I believe in information sharing and as long as nobody profits from it, its all good. I don't think making a how-to thread with a little sketch is going to hurt anybody's business in the long run. But again, I respect your stance on this. You certainly aren't doing anybody wrong that way

i guess i over thunked it ... but i will definitely do a thread on how i do mine, mistakes and all!

unfortunately i do know that with cut time and material ... raw cost (not including draft time or 'figure it out' time) will far exceed $10. Pricing a lot of laser cut parts, doing drafting, and buying a lot of laser cut parts myself .... i would guess closer to the $30 each range at dead cost.

if you design your own

i guess that was the part i want thinking hard enough about .... I have seen a lot of brake brackets for sale and a lot of kits for sale that include brakcets. I have yet to see one that is offered to use stock front calipers ... and if im the one putting in the effort to design my own ... its mine to do with as i please.

So yes ... i may very well offer the specs of the bracket.

cedens

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cliff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 4bbl
I just thought of something the dirt track boys have been converting rear drum to disc for years, it shouldn't be that hard.... but how about this yank the entire rear end off of a newer truck and do a full swapout.... or even going really crazy (ducking) and going to a ford 9 inch

John81287

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I just thought of something the dirt track boys have been converting rear drum to disc for years, it shouldn't be that hard.... but how about this yank the entire rear end off of a newer truck and do a full swapout.... or even going really crazy (ducking) and going to a ford 9 inch

He said the f word! Hanging him up by his toes! Jk

87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size

Didnt the newer trucks go to 6 lug? Not a bad idea, but would mean changing the front rotors/spindles to suit? You couldnt run factory rally rims (for those who like them)

belowaveragecustoms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 short bed 2wd
Engine Size
Didnt the newer trucks go to 6 lug? Not a bad idea, but would mean changing the front rotors/spindles to suit? You couldnt run factory rally rims (for those who like them)

Yeah if it has factory disc brakes it is 6 lug. You would have to changes the front to 6 lug to match either by swapping spindles or buy using adapters.

Below Average Customs

belowaveragecustoms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 short bed 2wd
Engine Size
He said the f word! Hanging him up by his toes! Jk

My thoughts exactly! Don't be using that F word around these parts! Haha

Below Average Customs

cedens

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cliff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 4bbl
2000 they went to a 6 lug, 16" wheel, now they are i think up to 17"s

But my 06 GMC has rear drum, and i don't think i want to find the rear-end from my 2500HD, its the same as the single wheel 1 ton's but 4 wheel disc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL