Rear disc brakes on the cheap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Well if our stock front calipers are said to work in place of the Astro calipers, then that means the Eldorado calipers would work too. It wouldn't be a very trusty e-brake, but you could get it working good enough for inspection.

I'll stick with the drum brakes using the boat ramp everyday, I don't need the Burb going into the drink while I am loading the boat on, lol.... :roflbow:

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
is any one trying this set up..i would like too get rid of the crapy drum brakes
dont need a e-brake-with the park brake..any one does this take photos

belowaveragecustoms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 short bed 2wd
Engine Size
I'm fixing to, I have talked to a few people that have and no one has had any problems

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I have rear disk brakes, but it's on a 14 bolt ff. Friggin love them, truck stops so much better now. Dont miss the park brake at all, and wouldn't go back to drums for nothing! Cant tell ya how many wheel cylinders I blew out in emergency braking situations, but not anymore.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
HEY THE 86 GMC--i would like to change..has a ten bolt rear.is the flange the same.as the twelve bolt..is your truck 10 bolt..if you do it.list the parts and where..and take photos..show us how..you do it.i would love to change from dumb drum..

to disk..help us out..step by step..part by part.keep in touch ok

belowaveragecustoms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 short bed 2wd
Engine Size
Mine is a 10 bolt. When I start on it I will make sure to take lots of pics and keep a good parts list. It will be a little while before i start on mine tho

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
HEY GUY

YOU DO YOURS AND I AM GOING TO DO MIND..i will wait.until you do yours.and you give us the parts list and the photos and the low down..on how it went and how it was too get it done..i have arthritis.and it will be great.to have everything.step by step.and a parts list.i need it to be as easy as it can.because.i can not do too much..arthritis..is slowing me down big time..

i had rear disk.years ago.on a 1982 firebird-formula..it had the e brake and the arms and the big screw that screwed in backwards..if you did not use your e-brake.rust would get in there.and when you screwed it in..

to get the calipers off..it would break the seal and then you had to get another calipers..i was lucky.when i took mind off..the seal.did not break..i will not miss the e-brake.it is the down fall..of the caliper..

hope you get too do it soon..

83K5guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
any progress of this yet?

bobehud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
91' with early 80's drivetrain
Truck Model
Suburban K3500
Engine Size
454 carbed
UM i have 8 holes and FF 14 bolt i have seen rear disc on them before
anyone have any clues...?

Wrecker

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
85 and 87
Truck Model
K30 and c10
Engine Size
6.2 and 5.7
The drum brakes have a small residual pressure valve in the master cylinder. If you put the disks on where there were drums, a quickie fix is to disconnect the rear brake line at the mc, start a drywall screw into the brass valve and pull it out. Reinstall the line and done.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
The drum brakes have a small residual pressure valve in the master cylinder. If you put the disks on where there were drums, a quickie fix is to disconnect the rear brake line at the mc, start a drywall screw into the brass valve and pull it out. Reinstall the line and done.

Good to know. :waytogo:

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
UM i have 8 holes and FF 14 bolt i have seen rear disc on them before
anyone have any clues...?

I have rear disk it's an easy mod. You use 8-lug front rotors from a 3/4 ton truck (78-87 Corporate 10 bolt) and calipers to match (if you have 3/8" banjo bolts you want calipers from a 78, if 10mm you want 79-up). Several different places make the brackets, I got mine at Offroad Design mainly because the bracket is flat with a spacer ring behind it, the bracket doesn't have bends in it like I've seen on others. But you can save ~$30 going with the others.

For brake lines I used my old rubber lines off the front. Since I had to get new longer lines for the front I was glad I hung onto the old ones for this mod. I welded large washers onto the upper spring plate to bolt the rubber line to.

They claim you need a proportion valve when you do this mod so I got one and put it in but I dont really think I needed it. I set the prop valve exactly in the middle and I like how the front and rear grab and pull the front and back down at the same time, instead of nose-diving like drum rears.

Chevyboy1986

Reaction score
First Name
martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
can you please send me the part no. or link for the caliper bracket i just cant seem to find the right one. thanks in advance!!!

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205

Latest posts

Forum statistics