Rain-X vs Rainbrella vs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
Been seeing these commercials lately about a product by Rustoleum called "Rainbrella" that claims to last twice as long as Rain-X...

Anyone tried it?

Anyone have experience with other products and know how they compare with each other?

:shrug:

Thanks,
Mark
:cheers:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
First I've heard of Rainbrella. I've used the original Rain-X in the past, with excellent results. Being somewhat lazier these days, I started using the Rain-X washer solvent, and will only use that frim now on. It's not quite as effective as applying it by hand, bit it's close enough.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Maybe you could test half the windshield with RainX and the other half Rainbrella, document it well, and if Rainbrella looses, blackmail Rustoleum to keep you quiet. Or I guess you could just try one or the other. That works, too.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Maybe you could test half the windshield with RainX and the other half Rainbrella, document it well, and if Rainbrella looses, blackmail Rustoleum to keep you quiet. Or I guess you could just try one or the other. That works, too.

lol I like the way you think

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size

LOL.. Was hoping to only buy one of them, not become consumer reports..
:gathering:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
lol I like the way you think

Thanks. I was watching a lot of Sopranos there for a while so I think that's what got me thinking that way.

LOL.. Was hoping to only buy one of them, not become consumer reports..
:gathering:

I hear you, and I figured as much. As mentioned above, I've never heard of Rainbrella until today, but RainX is a good product. I know people who've completely substituted windshield wipers for RainX in emergency situations.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks. I was watching a lot of Sopranos there for a while so I think that's what got me thinking that way.

I hear you, and I figured as much. As mentioned above, I've never heard of Rainbrella until today, but RainX is a good product. I know people who've completely substituted windshield wipers for RainX in emergency situations.

That's kinda where I'm at right now... Storm coming in, I have someplace to go monday and tuesday, sunday is the only dry day between now and then, I have new wipers and a bad wiper arm.. New windshield and I don't want to scratch it..

So I was thinking of maybe running into town and getting one of those products to get me through Mon/Tues until the wiper arms arrive Tuesday evening and yet another series of storms arrive (apparently this is the never ending winter)...

But since I'm buying, wanted to get whatever is the best product out there right now...

Rustoleum's new entry makes some bold claims.. Was just wondering if the product lives up to it...

Rainbrella commerical

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, Rainbrella must be a new product. Rain X been around for many many years and does work.

Being that tow trucks run harder in bad weather than they do in good weather due to people crashing and such, we always treat our windshields so we're ready to rock and roll with best visibility possible during bad weather.

One of our company owners will shoot your knee caps off if you use Rain X on one of his trucks. He does bring up a good point. The Rain X tends to be oily and does build up after several applications on your windshield and can make a nasty smeared mess in the right conditions. So what he does, he just uses regular paint and body car wax, and waxes his glass just like it were paint. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it for myself, but it does work well and does seem to last longer than Rain X without the greasy residue after several applications.

Turtle Wax or KIT cream wax with the sponge applicator seems to work best, then buff it off with a T shirt or Micro Fiber cloth.

The wax even seems to make it harder for ice to stick to your windshield so it's easier to scrape the ice off in a winter storm. Nothing like getting a hot hurry up call and you have to scrape ice before you can take off, so we like to keep our windshields clean and ready to roll 24/7 during bad weather season.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Yep, Rainbrella must be a new product. Rain X been around for many many years and does work.

Being that tow trucks run harder in bad weather than they do in good weather due to people crashing and such, we always treat our windshields so we're ready to rock and roll with best visibility possible during bad weather.

One of our company owners will shoot your knee caps off if you use Rain X on one of his trucks. He does bring up a good point. The Rain X tends to be oily and does build up after several applications on your windshield and can make a nasty smeared mess in the right conditions. So what he does, he just uses regular paint and body car wax, and waxes his glass just like it were paint. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it for myself, but it does work well and does seem to last longer than Rain X without the greasy residue after several applications.

Turtle Wax or KIT cream wax with the sponge applicator seems to work best, then buff it off with a T shirt or Micro Fiber cloth.

The wax even seems to make it harder for ice to stick to your windshield so it's easier to scrape the ice off in a winter storm. Nothing like getting a hot hurry up call and you have to scrape ice before you can take off, so we like to keep our windshields clean and ready to roll 24/7 during bad weather season.

I do this whenever I wax my vehicles. All he windows get it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84