Questions about 2.5/4" drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
1984/1986
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe/Sierra
Engine Size
350/305
Been awhile since i have been on here but i still have my square and just coming up with ideas for it. From what i have read if i use a 2.5 drop spindle i am at risk of contact with factory wheels and the lower control arm. However does this same problem exist if i use 2.5" lowering springs? Also the front sway bar is long gone on my truck along with the frame mounts. Now i was wondering at this level of lowering could i bolt a new sway bar directly to the frame and get rid of the spacers that were there originally between the bushing housing and the frame?

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Yes on a 2.5" drop spindle...and no with the spring. Only the drop spidle changes the centerline of the wheel hub which will cause it to run closer to the lower control arm. I have a 5" front and 7 " rear drop on my 84 and I still have my front sway bar connected without any issues. My sway bar mounts using the factory setup (I'm assuming those are the "spacers" you are referring to). If it can be mounted with a 5" drop ( I'm using McGaughy's 2.5" drop spindles and 3" drop coils)....I don't think with the drop you want that it will be a problem. I switched over to 20x8 front wheels for control arm clearance.

Darkrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
1984/1986
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe/Sierra
Engine Size
350/305
Yes on a 2.5" drop spindle...and no with the spring. Only the drop spidle changes the centerline of the wheel hub which will cause it to run closer to the lower control arm. I have a 5" front and 7 " rear drop on my 84 and I still have my front sway bar connected without any issues. My sway bar mounts using the factory setup (I'm assuming those are the "spacers" you are referring to). If it can be mounted with a 5" drop ( I'm using McGaughy's 2.5" drop spindles and 3" drop coils)....I don't think with the drop you want that it will be a problem. I switched over to 20x8 front wheels for control arm clearance.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Looking at the western chassis 2.5/4" kit. I would like to keep using my stock wagon style wheels so springs it is for the front. The spacers i was referring to were the standoffs or whatever you want to call them that go between the bushing and frame. They are long gone on my truck so i was trying to figure out a solution.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Looking at the western chassis 2.5/4" kit. I would like to keep using my stock wagon style wheels so springs it is for the front. The spacers i was referring to were the standoffs or whatever you want to call them that go between the bushing and frame. They are long gone on my truck so i was trying to figure out a solution.

Even with my 5" drop in the front of my square, I still have my front sway bar connected. I dont have any spacers between the sway bar mounts and the frame. I don't think that you will have any problems using the factory mounting locations for your sway bar. I will see what I can do about posting pics. For some reason this site has not allowed me to post pics.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84