question about rear suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
So I am trying to put the truck down to the stock suspension. This I figured I could do for free or cheap. The front springs have crappy, not safe spacers that I can pull. But this would leave the ass end up high. I dont know much about leaf suspension on trucks (go and figure, Mercedes Benz doesnt use leaf and none of my cars have leaf). How can I tell how this is lifted?

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
IMO, the rear does not look lifted at all. They probably put spacers in the front to lift the front to make it look level and and not rub those wheels and tires out the hood.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
.......... I was wondering the same thing, but then I was wondering, how much space did they need in the front?
So then my question is... 2/4 drop takes out the rake of the suspension, is there really a 2" rake between the front and rear suspension? If so, then I can see why there are two spring spacers on the front springs.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
here is a pic of the shackle and bracket. it doesnt look touched and there are only 4 leaves in the spring.

You must be registered for see images attach

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Our stock trucks came with the shackle under spring style bracket. Helped keep the center of gravity a little lower.

You could install a longer shackle in the rear to lower it, but you would end up hitting the cross bracing on the bed.

If you don't want to modify the bed, you could do a Spring Under Axle swap to lower the rear end down. You would need new spring mounts though. New ujoints and spring plates if you don't want them pointed at the ground too.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
As long as that looks stock, then we are good to go. I just wanted to make sure the rear suspension was stock.

I see the spring spacers in the front springs. I have seen on this forum or on another that 22's will fit under stock suspension. I dont know if it will, but Im willing to try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8