Push the brakes and the hazards light up (solid)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Battlac40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Push the brakes and the hazards light up (solid) turn the blinker and nothing. Break-lights work.
Step-side wiring diagram anyone ?? Advise Please ? On the 76'

Battlac40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
PS.
Pevious owner of the truck has the later style square tail lights on it, not the round ones that are supposed to be on it.

Battlac40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
First pic is passanger side.

You must be registered for see images attach

vadriller

Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Check the simple things first. I had a S-10 do that to me once and it was the light bulb.

The brake light filament had burnt up, broke loose from one side and crossed over to the parking light filament.

When I would hit my brakes, all my running lights would light up.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Push the brakes and the hazards light up (solid) turn the blinker and nothing. Break-lights work.
Step-side wiring diagram anyone ?? Advise Please ? On the 76'

Push the brakes and the hazards light up (solid)

The hazards, turn signals and brake lights all share a common filament (but only in the rear assemblies). So as long as the front lighting is not affected, that would be considered proper operation. On the other hand, if the front e-lights do come on when the brakes are applied...that a whole nother problem. Most likely the turn signal switch is NFG. But for the rear assemblies, if the filaments are seeing steady power from the brake switch...the hazard (or turn signal) lamps cannot flash. It like the power from the brake switch overrides the gaps in the flasher cycle.

There are only four leads to the rear lighting assemblies:

1. BRN - is for parking, plate and markers. Forget that circuit, they are always on if the H/L switch is pulled out.

2. Same thing for the LT GRN lead. That is just for the back up lights.

So that leaves just the DK GRN (for the RH side) and YEL (for the LH side). And, as above, those two leads supply power to the common filament that is for everything else (i.e. brakes, turn signals and hazards).

turn the blinker and nothing.

Does the above refer to just when the brakes are on - or does it mean that the directionals do not work at all?

Last edited:

Battlac40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
"turn the blinker and nothing.
Does the above refer to just when the brakes are on - or does it mean that the directionals do not work at all?"

When I push the signal lever either way it seems as though the blinker cam is functioning but I get no response from the instruments and nothing in the rear.

turn signal switch: That is the round relay looking bad boy by the fuse box, right?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Just to try something, switch the hazard flasher with the T/S flasher. Your fuses and fuse block won't look exactly like this, but you'll figure it out:

Battlac40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Thanks guys still have the battery out of the truck; doing some interior work dashboard taped off, probably going to need some stuff from @gmachinz ..

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Was this ever solved. I have the same issue. Put in new turn signal thingy. Worked fine. Fooling around with steering column and all of a sudden I have this problem. I disconnected the turn signal and problem went away. Put old broken turn signal back in and problem went away. Still new to install a new turn signal.

Still messing with steering column. Will see what happens when its all back together. Soon.... I hope....

Battlac40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Gonna try flipping the relays this weekend. .been distracted .

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
wait a second. isn't it normal for the lights to go solid when you step on the brakes. on vehicles with separate circuits and bulbs for the blinkers and brakes they will still flash. but when the stop and turn share the same circuit and bulb filament they turn solid. highdesertranger

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
wait a second. isn't it normal for the lights to go solid when you step on the brakes. on vehicles with separate circuits and bulbs for the blinkers and brakes they will still flash. but when the stop and turn share the same circuit and bulb filament they turn solid. highdesertranger
That's what my 75 K-20 does

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84