Pto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I know the ptos were used alot on dump trucks but has anyone ran a splitter off of one? I figure a high idle switch and the right hookups and it shouldn't be a problem. Am i missing anything? And where would be the best place to find one? I burn wood for heat and am tired of splitting by hand. Bought a splitter that has no engine on it and thought it would be nice to be able to hook it up to the truck to make my life easier

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I never seen one, but love the idea. Keep us posted on what you find.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Is your splitter hydraulic with a pump and ram?

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Yes. Just no engine. While im out in the draws cutting i figured it would be easier just to have one engine. That way i can have heat too

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
You could rig the pump up say under the truck to be driven by the PTO and have some hoses made with quick connectors to go to the ram set valve, then use an adjustable throttle lock cable like a boom truck uses to set your rpm where you want it to get desired pump rpm.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Thats what i was thinking. At least you helped confirm my idea. Now to find the correct pto

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a PTO unit setting in the shed. I too had thought about running a splitter with it, dont burn wood any more so no need.
It would require a PTO shaft to the pump, unless a person used a coupler sleeve.
I am not sure but, I think the PTO gears on the trans/T-Case are pretty much standardized between makes and models. I think this PTO unit came off of a ford but it bolts and meshes to the T-Case on my 59 Power Wagon.
The PTO units need to be shimmed away from the Trans or T-Case in order to get the proper clearance between the gears.
I had thought about mounting the PTO to the 59 Power Wagon then running quick couplers to the back of the bed.
Been thinking on that for a lot of years but never much had the need for the PTO.
If You find the right PTO unit, it will have provisions for mounting the pump directly to it.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Ive looked around a little there is alot i dont know about them. Im hoping someone with a dump truck with chime in.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ive looked around a little there is alot i dont know about them. Im hoping someone with a dump truck with chime in.
Dump trucks was My main purpose when working for the Montana DOT.
Not much to installing a PTO.
A shift cable or lever is all thats needed for engagement, unless You get fancy and do it with air or 12 volt power solenoid.
Use shims or gaskets to get the gears spacing.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I know the ptos were used alot on dump trucks but has anyone ran a splitter off of one? I figure a high idle switch and the right hookups and it shouldn't be a problem. Am i missing anything? And where would be the best place to find one? I burn wood for heat and am tired of splitting by hand. Bought a splitter that has no engine on it and thought it would be nice to be able to hook it up to the truck to make my life easier
The tow truck I have as a parts truck has a hydraulic pump mounted to the engine. It was belt driven and had a clutch on it similar to an AC clutch so it could be turned off and on. It was a pretty nice set up. It also had a locking hand throttle hooked to the gas pedal. Start looking at tow trucks in yard and swipe a shoe set up.
You must be registered for see images attach
here is a pic of it

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nice setup Honkey Kong.
I have thought about setting up an air compressor similar to that.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Ive looked at the belt style ones. For siting and cutting a couple chords at a time i think a pto pump would work better. Lower engine rpms i believe. At least thats what i gather from what i read

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ive looked at the belt style ones. For siting and cutting a couple chords at a time i think a pto pump would work better. Lower engine rpms i believe. At least thats what i gather from what i read
Most PTO mounted pumps puts out max at between 1200 and 1500 RPMs

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Exactly. I saw a muncie unit that would put out what i need at around 700 rpm i remember right. The belt driven ones needed at least 1000. I usually split for 4 to 6 hours at a time. So lower rpms are my friend

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Boltrunner,

What part of South Dakota are you from? I am in Rapid City. You might check with A&H truck salvage for a used PTO. I haven't been over there in a while, but they used to get a lot of trucks from the rail road, and some of them may have had PTO's on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL