Propane injection removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
What would be involved in completing this?

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Never ran propane, but used to have CNG (compressed natural gas) on several trucks. They either ran on CNG or gas, it was not a combination of the two, so I am not sur if that is how your propan system works.
If I recall, besides the tank, regulator, and plumbing, there was an adapter that mounted between the carb or throttle body, as well as an electrical module. I don't recall having to change anything after removing thase parts.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
What would be involved in completing this?
Righty tighty/lefty loosy.

Close the valve at the tank.
Remove the lines.
Remove the engine coolant lines from the regulator.
Safety cutoff valve and carb.
Tank.

If the system was installed by a good mechanic the advance spring in the dizzy will be too soft for gasoline.

You can drain the tank into barbecue cylinders. Need an adapter and a deep freeze and sunshine. You want the tank in the sun as hot as can be,
and the barbecue tank in a freezer. You can use the fuel line already on the tank.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size

Remove the lines.
Tank.

If the system was installed by a good mechanic the advance spring in the dizzy will be too soft for gasoline.

You can drain the tank into barbecue cylinders. Need an adapter and a deep freeze and sunshine. You want the tank in the sun as hot as can be,
and the barbecue tank in a freezer. You can use the fuel line already on the tank.

Its on a tbi truck.. anything extra?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

Remove the lines.
Tank.

Don’t forget send it to me lol then I only need 1 more set up to run dual mixers. Lol

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Its on a tbi truck.. anything extra?
Oh so it's a closed loop.
Well the only thing to be sure of is to close the feed line from the tank, and go nuts.

I don't have any experience with closed loop systems, but I understand they totally rock once dialed in. And of course, in order to get any performance
out of pane you need... COMPRESSION!

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Oh so it's a closed loop.
Well the only thing to be sure of is to close the feed line from the tank, and go nuts.

I don't have any experience with closed loop systems, but I understand they totally rock once dialed in. And of course, in order to get any performance
out of pane you need... COMPRESSION!

Its on a 350 tbi motor in a 3/4 -1 on srw, so no compression.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Don’t forget send it to me lol then I only need 1 more set up to run dual mixers. Lol
I was going to say, when you get everything off put in box and ship to the shiftpro...

Can run dual mixers (or regulators as some call them) behind one carb (Impco 425) and more power will be realized.
But for truly more jam need two mixers and two carbs!

A stock 454 with one 425 and 1 mixer will do alright. Torque and throttle response is good but the power runs away after 3000rpm.
Add two mixers into the 425 Impco and even with only 425 cfms it's amazing how it helps. These systems tend to run out of fuel before air, so
richen it up and away we go!
And to reiterate, run two Imcos and 2 mixers for ultimate smile factor!

Some guys claim to realize better fuel economy with the double double setup...? probably because everything is so much efficient as far as
making power. You all know that making more power means better efficiency which = economy (to a point, and also depends if you are actually using
all the extra jam on tap)

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Its on a 350 tbi motor in a 3/4 -1 on srw, so no compression.
Yeah I figured as much. If this mill had decent compression (min 10.1 but more is better!) it would be very impressive and probably not going back
to gasoline.
Unless of course there are other reasons for pulling the system off (like can't find auto propane for sale)

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
There might be an add on computer too. The modern closed loop systems have a second computer.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Yeah I figured as much. If this mill had decent compression (min 10.1 but more is better!) it would be very impressive and probably not going back
to gasoline.
Unless of course there are other reasons for pulling the system off (like can't find auto propane for sale)

Thats one reason, another is I have a 454 that would be perfect for this truck, then this 350 could go in my 4x4 along with a for sale sign.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I was going to say, when you get everything off put in box and ship to the shiftpro...

Can run dual mixers (or regulators as some call them) behind one carb (Impco 425) and more power will be realized.
But for truly more jam need two mixers and two carbs!

A stock 454 with one 425 and 1 mixer will do alright. Torque and throttle response is good but the power runs away after 3000rpm.
Add two mixers into the 425 Impco and even with only 425 cfms it's amazing how it helps. These systems tend to run out of fuel before air, so
richen it up and away we go!
And to reiterate, run two Imcos and 2 mixers for ultimate smile factor!

Some guys claim to realize better fuel economy with the double double setup...? probably because everything is so much efficient as far as
making power. You all know that making more power means better efficiency which = economy (to a point, and also depends if you are actually using
all the extra jam on tap)
I’m good with straight propane. There is an automobile filling station 5 miles from me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesardelacadena