PROM chip help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
I have a good idea on how to replace the PROM chip but want further guidance. I believe it’s located behind the glove box but I’m not exactly sure how it comes out and if I just swap it out and GO! Or if there is anything else I have to do additionally?? I’m putting a remanufactured motor in and I got a chip for it and never had to deal with this before. Any knowledge you guys have would be a huge help. Thanks!

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Hi Daniel. I fixed your title to hopefully get better attention from someone. To my knowledge you are correct and the computer is behind the glove box on the underside of the dash and you just remove the old chip and replace it with the new chip. I am sure that someone else will reply shortly and either verify this or correct me if I am mistaken.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, PROM (Program Read Only Memory) Chip is inside the ECM (Electronic Control Module) sometimes called ECU for Unit instead. If you can install a stick of memory on a computer motherboard you can install a pre burnt PROM chip in the ECM. Keep in mind, only compatible PROM chips fit the ECM also just like any other computer mobo.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You just need to pull the ECM, remove the two bolts on the access panel, pull the panel, and there’s the PROM. It only goes in one way so if you’re having to force it in, odds are that’s the wrong way. I just pay attention to which way the writing on the PROM is facing and reinsert the new one the same way.

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
Awesome thanks for the info everyone. My truck is about an hour away from where I’m staying so I couldn’t just go out and look to find it, that’s why I asked on here. I think I can tackle this, it sounds self explanatory

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8