Power Window Motor Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
You can disassemble, clean, and re-work the electric window motors.

The G-bodies used pretty much the same motor as the units in our trucks. This guy shows how it's disassembled.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This guy shows the worn out bi-metallic switch that's there to prevent motor overheating. He's bypassing it. Not sure how safe that is but it makes the motor work again. Just keep the kids away from the power window switches.
You may be able to find solid state self re-setting thermal switches but size may be a challenge.
This guy is a little rough on the seal as well. It can be disassembled without damaging the slinger washer above the seal by using a small puller on the gear.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You can buy the right size brushes from several industrial electric suppliers online. Measure em with a caliper and find the correct part.

mavtricks71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The aftermarket motors put to much pressure on the door when its all the way up... my door bows out quite a bit from to much pressure put on the glass.....my original motors didn't do that.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The aftermarket motors put to much pressure on the door when its all the way up... my door bows out quite a bit from to much pressure put on the glass.....my original motors didn't do that.
Mine did the same thing after I replaced the motor, now I give it a tap back to relieve the pressure..

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
This guy shows the worn out bi-metallic switch that's there to prevent motor overheating. He's bypassing it. Not sure how safe that is but it makes the motor work again. Just keep the kids away from the power window switches.

NEVER bypass this! UGH! You'll open a new can-o-worms doing this! Have you ever really tried to keep kids from playing with switches? Those beings that can insert a grilled cheese sandwich into a VHS player? You have got to be kidding me!
Most of the time you can simply clean out all of the old grease in a window motor, clean the armature and contacts with a little emory cloth, put in some new grease (not like Tammy Faye Baker puts on makeup tho) and they are as good as new.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
That was sarcasm. I don't have any kids here and I'd still try Deoxit D5 on the contacts and even get a different motor before disabling that switch.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Mine did the same thing after I replaced the motor, now I give it a tap back to relieve the pressure..

Did you try graphite to lube the flocking in the tracks?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Didn't use graphite just grease, window goes up and down faster than I thought it would since it's not hooked up with relays..

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
That was sarcasm. I don't have any kids here and I'd still try Deoxit D5 on the contacts and even get a different motor before disabling that switch.
No offense meant.

mavtricks71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Yup I go all way up ... then I back switch down to relieve the pressure.....Aftermarket parts are such junk!

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
No offense meant.
No worries. If I had kids riding in this thing I'd put a covert "driver only" switch in to shut off the passenger side lock and window controls just like a modern vehicle. No wearing out the antiques.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I like the graphite idea! Would be so much better than grease which tends to collect everything except money.

CORVAIRWILD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
UGLYTRUK
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 Suburban 4x4
Engine Size
Graphite lube? Link? I use Fluid Film, great rustproofing and lubricant. My '84 K5 Blazer driver window works, sometimes. Maybe it's the overheat switch? Didn't know there was one. Usually slamming the door or rapping on the bottom with a 2x4 works, and it's not working now. Time to look at it. I'll watch the video..

You must be registered for see images attach

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Fluid film is a "wet" lube. You don't want wet lubes because they collect dirt.
You can apply Graphite or dry silicone to lube the flocking in window guides. Graphite can stain anything that contacts it. Silicone can cause paint issues.

CORVAIRWILD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
UGLYTRUK
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 Suburban 4x4
Engine Size
I still didn't have a chance to look at my K5 Blazer window issue

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts