Power steering pump troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I have a 96-98 serpentine setup I just installed on my 78. I used the power steering pump that came with the brackets, disassembled it an had the pulley an resivior powder coated. Put it all back together an used the fitting an internal stuff from my stock pump so I could use a new factory pressure line for the truck (5/8 flare instead of metric o-ring). Never had any assist from it after the install, so today I swapped the pump with a reman. I got assist on the first start an bled with wheels in the air. Let it down an it still worked great. Shut it off an topped off the fluid an now no more assist. I had to use an impact to get the pulley on both times an I even got a new Dorman pulley today because the one I had powder coated gave me a fit installing it but this new one wasnt any easier to get on the reman pump.

Sorry for the novel but what am I doing wrong here? Is it using the impact? If so how the heck are you suppose to get the pulley on? The installer just starts unscrewing itself right after the pulley starts. The system worked fine before the swap an it worked good with this pump for 5 mins....

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I would take the pump back and try another one. I got one from autozone a couple of months ago. No problems. Mine is the Saginaw with the keyway. The pump shaft is threaded and uses a nut to hold the pulley on. I had to change the fitting also to make my metric pressure line fit. That fitting has the relief valve for the pump on it also. Make sure it is clean and free of any debris.

Last edited:

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Well the flow valve was stuck in the pump behind the line fitting. Since I had it 80% of the way apart I took it an exchanged it anyway.

This pump looked much better right out of the box. The pulley went on very easy too, just like it should with a pair of wrenches an no real strain.

I bled it with the wheels off the ground engine off, turned the wheels lock to lock multiple times.

Then cranked the engine over a few times without letting it start. Let it sit a minute an checked an topped off the fluid.

Started the engine an turned it lock to lock multiple more times. Set it down on the ground and more lock to lock turns, all was well. Turned it off, reinstalled my fan an fan shroud (electric setup) an then drove it.

Its very darty an feels like the assist comes an goes while driving. When you come to a stop the assist is gone unless you rev the engine. Then it works off an on again until the engine comes back to idle an the cycle starts over.

I'm at a loss now I have no idea what I'm doing wrong....

Edit: the dartyness isn't in the alignment as it was fine before the swap. Its the only way to explain but its more the varying effort it takes to turn. One minute its very easy the next it takes a little more effort an then it might go back to easy before it goes to no assist. You just don't know how much effort to put on the wheel...

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Is this second pump a reman also? It doesn't sound like you did a thing wrong. You bled it till clean PS fluid came out, turned the wheel back and forth until you purged the air out, and topped it off after. Unless the power steering belt looks true when just sitting there and then starts flopping around when it's under load, my vote's on the pump.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Yes its a reman as well. I didnt bleed any fluid out though, I just turned the wheels to purge the air. Someone else mentioned the belt as well but its only one belt now, It was dark when I drove it last night an there was no dimming of my lights or any drop on the voltage gauge to indicate an issue with the belt. Everything on this setup is new except these reman pumps and the alternator. The tensioner is gates unit and seems to be right in the middle of its travel when the engine isnt running and doesnt appear to come near the stops if you rev the engine. I'm sure I got a bad pump again or something. My only other thought now is to use the pump to flush the whole system since it somewhat works. This way the steering box is full of fresh new fluid and I can rule that out as a cause and then swap the stupid pump again....

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Where are you getting the pumps? Might ask for a refund and go somewhere else.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
The first one came from the salvage yard with the bracket set. The other two have come from Advance auto parts, they are OEM brand remans. The new one they sell is AC Delco but its $230...

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
It may just take some time to completely bleed the air from the system too. I recall a couple of used Chrysler products from my dealership days that were real motherfuckers to get bleed. Might drive it for a couple days before you pull it again.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I think I'm going to drain it, clean the flow valve an its bore real good. Then flush a quart or two through it an the steering box. Hopefully that will cure this issue. Apparently the valve sticking halfway will cause the issues I have now an that can be caused by dirty fluid. Shouldn't really be that much that was dirty but Idk what else to try.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Dal1

Reaction score
First Name
david
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Dont use an impact to install the pulley . you will damage the pump. There is install/removal tool you can get at the part stores.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Well I believe I finally got it happy. I pulled the pump back off cleaned it out and checked the bore and the flow valve for anything that could make it stick. Everything looked good so I put it back, filled it with fresh fluid and took the return from the steering box to a empty drain tub. I was attempting to bleed the contaminated fluid out of the box but it never pulled fluid down from the resivior, just emptied the box itself. So at this point I deicded to start the engine to get a good flush of everything. It hadnt been started in several days so as soon as it did it went straight to high idle (1200ish rpm). The pump then proceded to blow the entire quart of fluid through the steering box and out the return in about 1.27 seconds. Since it was now throughly flushed I hooked the return back up and filled it with fluid again. Cycled the wheels several times and then started it again. Let it warm up a little so it would idle at regular rpm instead of high and then started cycling the wheels with it in the air, then on the ground. I drove it around a little an all seems well now. I havent been able to drive it again because it rained the rest of the week but I hope to get it out some this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat