Power Steering Belt Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've got an 84 K10 that was a 305 and the PO put in a 350 SBC. The main belt looks tight, but the power steering belt is sagging. How do I adjust it?

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
There are two bolts on eaither side of the power steering pump, you can tell what bolts Im talking about because they both has an adjuster built into the bracket, losen them and take a pry bar and pry I honestly cant remeber if its up or done, that should tighten it up

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You must be registered for see images attach

The top mounting bolt on the inboard side is the pivot. Loosen that just enough to allow the frame to move but also kind of hold your set point while tightening the others.

To tighten the belt, move the bolt (the one that can slide up and down the slot) in the direction indicated by the red arrow. The bottom inboard bolt is also in a slot and will move inward in the slot.

Be advised however, even with the bracket fully adjusted up and out, the belt that is currently driving the P/S pump may need to be changed to a shorter one.

Last edited:

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the diagram... But I think my engine is missing the adjustment bracket. Or do I have it wrong?

Attachments

• power_steering_0.jpg
    power_steering_0.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 3,788
  • power_steering_1.jpg
    power_steering_1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 3,515

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It is missing a bracket.
There should be two studs in the two forwards boltsw of the exhaust manifold,the bracket bolts under nuts screwed onto those studs.The bracket then has a 90* bend in it and there is a slotted hole that the stud of the PS pump goes through.
It wont be complete without that bracket and probably will not hold tension.
What was said about the shorter belt,in a couple of posts before,well,I usually go to a sshort enough belt that I have to stretch it and cheat a bit to get it around trhe pulley,then,after a couple of adjustments it is "Just RIIIIIggght".

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Anybody know where I can get this bracket? I didn't see it on RockAuto. I can call some salvage yards I guess.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
BRACKET. Power Brake Booster. Steering Pump Mounting. .

Stock Code 14101199
Manufacturer VPI
Categories Suspension > Power Steering Pump
Assemblies A/C COMPRESSOR MOUNTING-5.0L V8 (
); STEERING PUMP MOUNTING & LINES (

); STEERING PUMP MOUNTING (
); STEERING PUMP MOUNTING (

); STEERING PUMP MOUNTING-5.0L V8 (
); STEERING PUMP MOUNTING-5.0L V8 (

)

Your Price $ 36.16

Not well described but that's it - item 3 in the upper image.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I would strongly recommend using the OEM brace. There is very little wiggle room between the exhaust manifold and P/S pump, so exact fit is extremely important.

Also, while you are tightening the belt, keep a close eye on sheave/pulley alignment (both angular and offset and on 3 pulleys pump. fan and crank) is critical to belt life. Changing the P/S pump drive belt sucks - so you do not want to do it to often.

Buying that particular part as OEM would be money well spent even if it cost more than the aftermarket assembly. Lots of hardware does not indicate ease of installation or a better final set-up. It's usually the opposite.

And from my experience LMC is fine for some things but not the big and heavy stuff.

I just did a rebuild that included a switchover of all the auxiliaries. I spent about 4 hours bending/twisting the brace and elongating bolt holes with a file before it was done. I still wasn't really satisfied with pulley alignment - and this was all OEM.

Last edited:

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok. I'm sold on OEM parts. I'm looking at the first diagram and I believe that I want the brackets in the lower image. My power steering has two belts on it's pully.

Where do you order yours? A Chevy dealer?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128