Plasti dip removal / whire paint trim advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Hey all, currently my truck has mat black plasti dip on it, thanks to the po. Its been an eyesore the past year and I've learned to hate the stuff. It weather's really bad and none of the paint ice ussd to touch it up with even matches. I think before the black there was white, all under the car where it peels I've seen a solid coat of white, and im warming up to that color. I need to get the dip off tho, and only have a hose and a drive way. I was thinking of making a solution or buying one that'll take it off, but need some suggestions of stuff that won't take off the white underneath.

Also for trim i kinda wanna go with black bezzels and a black grill that i have, and the rest chrome, ive seen it come out real nice in mt opinion. Any advice appreciated

Attached are just random pics of the truck for reference

You must be registered for see images attach

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I wouldn't bother.

SOMEBODY wants it like that. I'd "fix it up" , mark it up, make a profit and sell it.

Actually I would have never considered buying it.

I think what you want is both unreasonable and unreasonable.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Remove Plasti-Dip

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
PlastiDip is supposed to peel right off. But as a friend of mine found out, the cheap knockoff stuff sucks and doesn't like to peel. It also doesn't like to peel if it's not a good thick coat on there.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
PlastiDip is supposed to peel right off. But as a friend of mine found out, the cheap knockoff stuff sucks and doesn't like to peel. It also doesn't like to peel if it's not a good thick coat on there.

Yea im suffering from both, the po used left over plasti dip from another car to do this one, and only put a couple coats on

86Peter454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
from experience.

if it wont peel off as said above due to thin layers then its gonna be a bitch to get off.

peel off as much as you can then get a microfiber rag and some elbow grease on the stuff that wont peel off.

you could try the removal solution from dipyourcar.com though i have no experience with it so i couldnt tell you how well it works but its supposed to not ruin the pain under the dip.

also ive seen recently that some dips are ruining the clear coat on the previous real paint so there is a chance you will run into an issue with that so just expect to find crappy paint and likely rust and what ever else the previous owner was trying to hide.

as for blacking out the grill. just plasti dip it :Big Laugh:

carlgm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Truck Year
'85
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
You can use Dip Dissolver but avoid using it on plastic pieces.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I put plasti dip on some parts for a Honda ruckus I built. I was able to peel it off but it was a pain in the butt
have you looked into one of the eraser wheels they use for emblem adhesives like this:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performa...wLwFA4B3CEmrG_RjPPVvT9PQ80TWzLNIaAkkvEALw_wcB

Maybe try to peel as much as you can then try one of these. a bunch of companies make them, maybe you can find a bigger version that will fit on an angle grinder or something. btw, you can go to a self serve car wash with pressure washers.

I'd be prepared to respray just in case. maybe wait until you have some cash stacked for a single stage white paint that matches what you have underneath. hvlp guns can be had for cheap. research spraying single stage paints.

good luck

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Aircraft Stripper overnight and then next morning go to the car wash.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I do not know this personally but I have been told and have seen a few videos on youtube where they used Kleanstrip Prep All, made by W.M. Barr and Co to soften and dissolve the Plasti-dip so that you can essentially pressure wash it off once its softened up some. This applies to thinly layered on coat, which make it hard to peel off. I think you can get it at Oreillys or Amazon, not sure where else. I think they sell it in gallon sized containers at O'reillys for about 20 bucks and a few bucks less on Amazon. I've got some PD overspray on a motorcycle tank I am needing to clean up for a repaint project so I was looking into a way to buy in bulk and not be forced to buy the plasti-dip brand, which is somewhat overpriced...

https://www.amazon.com/Kleanstrip-P...ords=kleanstrip+prep-all+wax+&+grease+remover

If you try it and it works great please let me know. Might be a while before i get around to jacking with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DENREXX169