PieceOfQ-JetWontStart

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Battlac40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
"Ran when I parked it syndrome":
Parked the new project in the in the carport changed the pinion yoke and some floor board work. Now the truck wont start.
Ran some new rubber from the top of the metal line to a new filter with some new hose to the Q-Jet. Sprays fuel out of the line. Also has a electric helper Mr. Gasket in the back seems fine. Tapped the POS with the soft end the screw-driver & more aggressively with a buck-shot mallet.
Leaning in, I don't see any "squirt" when I smash down on the throttle cable, looking inside the carb. If I pour some gas in the carb. & it starts until it bogs down and wont keep running. Ideas?
:Wedgie:
+Pics of how you guys ran your filters and lines with a Q-Jet; Have alot more room for a filter on the 81' w/eddlebrock but, was loving the gas-consumption on the Q-Jet.

350-4bbl-Qjet-HEi-th400-205-3/4

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So how long did it sit? Are you running ethanol fuel in it?

Battlac40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
A Month.
Premium with a bottle of Lucas all gas around here has "10%" ethanol; Commies.

Bought it in Southern Colorado drove it to Northern New Mexico and caput.

Started kinda rough the next day then a month later nothin.
New upper line, filter(arrow facing correctly), cleaned out the hard line from the pump.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So it won't even start, then idle like hell then shut off. And it won't keep running after you primie it. Have you cracked the fuel line at the inlet or have a visible inline fuel filter where you can tell if the fuel pump is pumping fuel.? If the fuel pump is pumping fuel, then you know the carb is the problem. That ethanol is nasty **** for sitting carbs. Not sure how well the Lucas will help it. Some of those needle and seats have a rubber tip. if that rubber melted down a little from the ethanol and stuck the needle, then it's not going to let fuel into the carb bowl. That ethanol is also good for eating up the rubber on the accelerator pump. If you do end up rebuilding the carb, try to find an ethanol compatible kit since you live in an area where you can't get 100% gas.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I'd try a rubber mallet or screwdriver near the floats, then tear the thing apart and run through the needle and seat

Battlac40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I'd try a rubber mallet or screwdriver near the floats, then tear the thing apart and run through the needle and seat
Tried that ^ noted above.

Battlac40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
So it won't even start, then idle like hell then shut off. And it won't keep running after you primie it. Have you cracked the fuel line at the inlet or have a visible inline fuel filter where you can tell if the fuel pump is pumping fuel.? If the fuel pump is pumping fuel, then you know the carb is the problem. That ethanol is nasty **** for sitting carbs. Not sure how well the Lucas will help it. Some of those needle and seats have a rubber tip. if that rubber melted down a little from the ethanol and stuck the needle, then it's not going to let fuel into the carb bowl. That ethanol is also good for eating up the rubber on the accelerator pump. If you do end up rebuilding the carb, try to find an ethanol compatible kit since you live in an area where you can't get 100% gas.
Exactly, just making sure that I am not crazy. Good info on the needle and accelerator pump. Been leaning toward the later; this strengthens my suspicion. Gonna take it in to a shop for a rehaul.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Unless you know an old timer who’s good with that sort of thing, I’d send it in the mail somewhere (i.e. Mountain Man Carb and Fuel or Quadrajet Power). My dad took two Q-Jets to a local guy, and he totally botched both of them. It sounds like a case of the sat too long.

436'd skylark

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500HD
Engine Size
Durajunk
Q-jets are easy to rebuild. Make sure it is clean and set every damn measurement that comes in the directions. Set it for your application as the directions state and it'll run great.

Zoomalot

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado Shorty
Engine Size
350 Ram Jet
I second (do yourself rebuild, very easy if you know what a screwdriver looks like)??

dougbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500/nv4500/np241c/33x12.50x16/4.10 Gears 14BFF
Engine Size
5.3L - 2002 Silverado, rebuilt top end, long tube headers

dougbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500/nv4500/np241c/33x12.50x16/4.10 Gears 14BFF
Engine Size
5.3L - 2002 Silverado, rebuilt top end, long tube headers
Unless you know an old timer who’s good with that sort of thing, I’d send it in the mail somewhere (i.e. Mountain Man Carb and Fuel or Quadrajet Power). My dad took two Q-Jets to a local guy, and he totally botched both of them. It sounds like a case of the sat too long.

Cliff performance has a 1 YEAR queue on rebuilds, he does a great job

dougbert

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size