Pics of tow hooks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Considering the torque and stress that any hooks would be asked to take, I'd transplant the backup plates to better protect the frame.

I'm a belt and suspenders kind of thinker, so I'll be moving them. I was just wondering if I could get away with just bolting them on until I do the full resto. Since I almost never use them I think I'll wait.

I was also curious to see if they were all the same and if every truck had them.

I always thought the Civilian tow hooks were a bit wimpy... If you're gonna do it go all out like the military did in the 80's. You can hook a NATO tow bar to rotate up and down on the clevis pins mounting bar and pull one around. Been there done that.

Well, yeah but... If I was an offroader I'd definitely do that. But it's a little more effort than I was looking for. It is impressive though.

You must be registered for see images attach

Nice, but I'm not ready to part with the step bumper either.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you will never use them go ahead and bolt them up. However, I have heard many a story of these hooks being pulled from the frames of these truck, don't know if this is true first hand of not.

I went the same way @Honky Kong jr did except I have a hitch receiver on the front as well as the rear (still have the rear step bumper) this way I can move my hook for whatever need I may have. The hook was only $40 if I remember right. and it works very well as I've used it many times, tried going wheeling with some Ford owners.... basically just pulled them along.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Wow! Nice truck. My favorite color too.

There's really no place to go offroading here except the beach, and things rust fast enough here without that kind of help. Hence we don't really need the hooks. It's more of a "since they were there" thing. Kind of like I'll be taking the Quad Shock mounts off the 'burb before it heads to the shredder. Do I need quad shocks? No. But hey, four is WAY cooler than two, right?

When I was building the suburban I was kicking around doing a front receiver. Yours looks like a real clean install. Do you have some pics of how you did it?

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wow! Nice truck. My favorite color too.

There's really no place to go offroading here except the beach, and things rust fast enough here without that kind of help. Hence we don't really need the hooks. It's more of a "since they were there" thing. Kind of like I'll be taking the Quad Shock mounts off the 'burb before it heads to the shredder. Do I need quad shocks? No. But hey, four is WAY cooler than two, right?

When I was building the suburban I was kicking around doing a front receiver. Yours looks like a real clean install. Do you have some pics of how you did it?

Thank you!
It totally makes sense to me. I've always loved the look of the chin strap under the front bumpers with the stock hooks installed. Plus to buy a pair of the stock hooks if you can find a set will cost a pretty penny so might as well add them if you have them.

Mine came with the receiver installed when I bought it so I don't have many details but I'll snap some pictures after work. It is one of the cleaner ones I've seen and almost like a purchased bolt on piece. I honestly didn't think I would use it much, but I've found myself really liking it and using it a bunch.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
The boatyards around here often have front receivers on trucks for maneuvering trailers around the yard. But they're usually pretty brutal installs that look like they were done almost entirely with an oxy/acetylene torch. I'm looking forward to seeing how yours was done.

Since you mention it does your rear receiver still allow you to carry a spare underneath? Most of what I've seen requires the spare in the bed. Not something I'm fond of.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The boatyards around here often have front receivers on trucks for maneuvering trailers around the yard. But they're usually pretty brutal installs that look like they were done almost entirely with an oxy/acetylene torch. I'm looking forward to seeing how yours was done.

Since you mention it does your rear receiver still allow you to carry a spare underneath? Most of what I've seen requires the spare in the bed. Not something I'm fond of.

They do work great for that! Helped my old neighbor with his a time of two. I do believe it would, as it is definitely a purchased bolt on class IV receiver. I bought the rear a while back from a scrap yard. However, I cannot say for sure as the PO hacked out the under bed mount setup. My spare rides in the bed under the Protech box, which I also do not like. Planning on a rear bumper mounted spare in the future.

I can snap some pictures of both and hopefully find some part numbers on them.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Alrighty, @Blue Ox here are the pictures of the front. Looks as though someone cut the ends off a stock receiver, welded on plates and slipped it into the frame when they had the front bumper off and bolted it into existing frame holes.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
These are of the rear. I still have the label on this one. Hopefully they are decent enough to see. I had to snap them quickly as the wife is dragging me out to a movie.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
That's very helpful. Thank you. I appreciate your taking the time. Someone did a pretty professional job getting that in there without hacking up the truck while still making it functional and clean.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That's very helpful. Thank you. I appreciate your taking the time. Someone did a pretty professional job getting that in there without hacking up the truck while still making it functional and clean.

No problem we're all here to help out. I'm glad I finally get to do some of the helping!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28