Parts list

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I have a 95 suburban that im getting ready to send to the junk yard. Aside from the serpentine belt setup off its 350 what else should i grab off of it? I might save the motor for a rebuild. I have a 87 3/4 ton.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'd pull the whole motor so you can get the accessory setup above all else. 4L80E? If so, I'd pull the whole powertrain and engine harness/PCM. If it's just a 4L60E, I'd pull the trans and sell it separate; maybe still pull the engine harness. There's not really anything else that translates between the GMT400 and the Square. If you're gonna rebuild and swap just that motor, I'd lose those heads. The bottom end of it is definitely worth having since you can roller cam it, and the one piece RMS should last a lot of leak free miles if done properly, but the 87-95 top end sucks in terms of power potential. The TBI system is more workable than people realize, though. If the newer Burb has a 4L80E, and you want to swap the whole drivetrain and harness/PCM, I'd verify that the MEMCAL in that newer ECM can be tuned as easily as the PROM in your square Burb before you upgrade anything. Just letting the cart get ahead of the horse a little, but it's good to brainstorm.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
How can I tell the difference between the 4l60 and 80? Not planning a trans swap on my truck. Kind of like my sm465. Only thing i would swap in would be a newer manual. Still undecided about a rebuild on the motor in her burb it has 250xxx on it. The motor in my truck has less than 10k on it. The po put a new goodwrench motor in it a few year ago and has not been off the ranch it came from reall since then.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
How can I tell the difference between the 4l60 and 80? Not planning a trans swap on my truck. Kind of like my sm465. Only thing i would swap in would be a newer manual. Still undecided about a rebuild on the motor in her burb it has 250xxx on it. The motor in my truck has less than 10k on it. The po put a new goodwrench motor in it a few year ago and has not been off the ranch it came from reall since then.

you can pick up and carry a 700/4l60 with easy, the 4l80e is heavier, it is also longer, and only found in 3/4-1 tons stock

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The 4L60E has a square eighteen bolt pan, and the 4L80E has a rectangular shaped, seventeen bolt pan.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Thanks for the info. She has untill i get done with work at the end of the month to sell it. If not then its mine. Im keeping my fingers crossed. I really want the serpentine setup for my 87.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I suppose the fuel tank is too wide to fir between the frame rails

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I don't think those parts are even close, but it wouldn't be worth fooling with it. Your '87 already has the baffling for an electric pump and the same TBI pump as the '95 with an SBC.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I was just thinking about loosing the dual tanks. I have a pickup not a burb. New to chevys so kind of feeling things out still. Also the ac condenser... can i transfer that over to my truck? The po took out the ac unit. The evaporator core in the firewall is still there but hoping i can take the one from the burb as well seeing as idk when the last time ac was hooked up in my truck anyway. Thanks for all the information every one btw.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Just take a quick measurement of the tank to see if it would fit between the frame rails.

I don't see why the a/c condenser wouldn't work. May be a slightly different size and you may need to modify or fab up some new mounting brackets for it, but as long as it isn't full of crud or leaking, i'd think it would work.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I was just thinking about loosing the dual tanks. I have a pickup not a burb. New to chevys so kind of feeling things out still. Also the ac condenser... can i transfer that over to my truck? The po took out the ac unit. The evaporator core in the firewall is still there but hoping i can take the one from the burb as well seeing as idk when the last time ac was hooked up in my truck anyway. Thanks for all the information every one btw.
I knew that. Sorry. It won't hurt to take measurements to be sure on the tank, but I think that GMT400 Suburban tank is 42 gallons, and I know the square body Suburban 40 gallon tank is a squeeze. I agree on the condenser. I doubt it's gonna be the same size, but it can't be that different. I'd look into flushing it if the cleanliness of the donor system was questionable. You can't really do it on modern extruded style condensers because the tubes are so small, but you can do it on older ones if need be and if done properly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shepard te