Parking Brake Strut Spring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Anybody know where to find a new spring for the parking brake bar?? Or an alternative that will work? There is a rectangular spring with a loop off the side that goes over the flat bar with slotted ends (goes on topside between shoes). I took the drum off on the drivers side and that bar was loose just fell out on the ground; put it back together with the existing spring which looks to be about half of its original length (this spring doesn't come in the hardware kits). The passenger side spring looked like it should and bar was in place.. After driving for just a few miles, the bar on the drivers side is loose again and rattling around inside the drum.. I've been to several parts stores and cannot find this spring.

You must be registered for see images attach

The last two pics show the good spring on the passenger side...

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Anybody know where to find a new spring for the parking brake bar?? Or an alternative that will work? There is a rectangular spring with a loop off the side that goes over the flat bar with slotted ends (goes on topside between shoes). I took the drum off on the drivers side and that bar was loose just fell out on the ground; put it back together with the existing spring which looks to be about half of its original length (this spring doesn't come in the hardware kits). The passenger side spring looked like it should and bar was in place.. After driving for just a few miles, the bar on the drivers side is loose again and rattling around inside the drum.. I've been to several parts stores and cannot find this spring.

The last two pics show the good spring on the passenger side...

I hope I'm not too late to come in on this post.. First you have the spring installed on the wrong end of the bar. That spring goes on the "leading edge" toward the front of the bar.. The spring is not there to keep the bar in place, just to keep it from rattling.. The reason it's falling out is because you don't have the shoes adjusted properly.. They're too far away from the drum and when you apply the brakes, the wheel cylinders have to push the shoes so far that the bar and shoes separate.. Adjust the shoes so that they just start to drag on the drum and you shouldn't have to constantly put the bar back in place....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84